[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Beginners pointers please.

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Beginners pointers please.

Well I have a wonderful friend in the business who's treating me to a beautiful bubble tipped anemone. It's of the multi colored types. It will be here Wednesday!
    What can I expect behavior wise? Best starting placement? Some do's en don'ts? Please just don't try to scare me off with any war stories. I've heard enough of them and am going forward anyway. Thanks
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jstan - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason

As far as placement goes, anywheres a good starting point. It'll decide where it wants to live in your tank, and will move around to the beat of it's own drum. Just cross your fingers and hope it doesn't sting your corals in the process.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Are there any people out there keeping these nems successfully in a tank with corals? Are they more for a FOWLR?

Jstadler - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

I've found that if you put them on they're own island rock, they tend to stay put, atleast mine do. I have 2 RBTA that refuse to move across the sandbed, but they do move around on their own rock. That being said I recently split them up and moved them to separate places on my rockwork 3 days ago, and haven't moved since. Mine are in a reef tank.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Jstadler - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

I'd be more worried about them waging chemical warfare with your maxi-mini's

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Jstadler View Post
    I'd be more worried about them waging chemical warfare with your maxi-mini's

Good point to consider. Thanks J

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

JStadler has it right there. Bubble tips are loath to move across open sand. On their own island they tend to stay on that island, and one that waders away from a nice pile of rock with ample space inside the pile for their foot is probably mad as ****. I have 2 gigantic rose bubbles in my 180g coral tank, so I sure wouldn't call them FOWLR critters. But, in small tanks they get big enough that nowhere in the tank is safe. Each of my rbtas would own a 29g bio cube either one would reach from side to side and look kind of silly. So keep tank size in mind if you want to mix bubble tips with corals, bubbles can get pretty big and the happier they are the bigger they get. Also IMO, they don't need to be spot fed, ever, they will get their share of pellets from fish feeding, and when happy they love very high light (mine are about 10" under a 250w mh).

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Best experience shared yet! Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you rmalone And based on this info I have to say, NO nem for Miz sad yes but this to shall pass. Now off to find a new stick maybe

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I thought you already had it ordered?

While I agree 100% with everything rmalone said, it does take awhile for the nems to get that big and they often split before that point. A nem is also pretty easy to frag if you can get at it. Just throwing it out there for you to consider...

CR Member
    First Name
    mike

I have to start by saying that I love my nems and right now I have a couple bubble tips one is about the size of a dinner plate and I have a very heavy coral tank. The key to a nem is to try to get them first an let them move around to where they like it. Usually after they find a place they like they will stay pit as long as they get food. You DO have to feed them if after they are set you want them to stay put. They are my favorite creature in my tank and if you have an established tank put the nem in where ever and watch out for the pumps but it will move around for a little bit and if it gets near corals just move the coral away by a little bit. Then when the nem settles down then put the coral around it and all is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last