[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Big Blue Bivalve Bathing?

Bookmark and Share
    dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Default Big Blue Bivalve Bathing?

OK, maybe not a bath, but a shave? I have a clam that has two things growing on its shell. A small patch of GSP that started because I was a bit remiss in keeping it trimmed back. The second is some hair algae tha sadly is growing at incredible rate on th poor guy.

The GSP doesn't seem to bother it at all. Been ther for quite some time, touching the mantle with no noticeable effect. But, I am worried about th hair algae, cuz a) it's in my tank! (more on that later) but also, b) i worry that th algae can block light need by the zooxanthellae. So, I have been pulling it off. Of course, you can't pull it all off...

Were I to gve th clam(shell) a scrubbing, would I do more harm than good? I am thinking stainless steel wire brush? The mantle MOSTLY retracts when it is nervous, so I would need to be careful around that... I definitely don't want to harm it.

Any thoughs?

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

What species clam, and how big is it?

If it's a small Tridacna I wouldn't mess with it (they're just too sensitive). Rather address the cause of the algae and the nuisance will go away.

Based on the thread title I'm assuming it's a larger clam, and further assuming it a Tridacna. If my assumptions are correct and the clam is >4 inches, then some scrubbing should be fine (I have done it to my clams in the past). I would avoid metal bristles. A toothbrush works well on most algae species. Depending on the type of hair algae you may be able to just pull it off with your fingers. Definitely exercise caution when working near the mantle as well as the byssal opening. Lastly, only clean a little bit of the shell at a time in an effort to minimize stress.

Good luck and keep us posted... some before and after pictures would be cool to see.

Tom

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Thanks, Tom. It IS a tridacna (maxima) maybe a bit longer than 4". It's not in a great spot to photograph, but I will give it a shot.

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

Default Hair algae on shell

Hey there. A very quick way to remove hair algae without scrubbing the crap out of the clam is to take a toothbrush, dip in Hydrogen Peroxide and scrub the hair algae. It just falls apart and dies, I rinse things off in some tankwater before putting it back, but it works like a charm on live rock and every other time I have tried it.
    Likes Sir Patrick liked this post