[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Bristle worms OH MY!

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Dont worry about them they are great cuc. Keep doing what you do if everything is going good. If you really hate them I had an orchid dotty that ate everything like that you could try that option too. But be warned he ate or killed lots of stuff. Everything I have heard or read about them says social they forgot the anti in front of that. lol
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    I'll cut down on feedings at least the amount~but if they die off I'll have a nitrate issue no? Especially if they die under the SB and LR.
    They'll only breed to the availability of food available, so if you cut down on feedings some will die, yes, and they won't keep reproducing (at rediculous rates). You won't have a big issue with parameter spikes because they won't all die off at once (as with using FWE for flatworms for example).

keeplearning - Reefkeeper CR Member

IMHO it depends on whether or not they are coral eating fire worms or bristle worms. The fire worms will eat your coral, whereas bristle worms are detrivores who make up an essential parts of a mature system's CUC.

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

If you really hate them, they make Bristle worm traps you can buy at the fish store for not too much. You can also make a DIY trap pretty inexpensively out of a 6" piece of 1" PVC with holes drilled in the removable caps. Put some food in there, they crawl in and can't figure a way out. You won't get rid of all of them, I'm sure, but you can make a good dent in the population.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Someone just told me that you can use a nylon stocking, put some food in it and they will get stuck via their bristles. I don't hate them but for my little tank there's just to many. They're out every day all day long and I just don't like looking at them all the time. Plus people get freaked out by them. They're taking away the beauty of my tank
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2