[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Brittle Star (green)

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

Default Brittle Star (green)

I'm still fairly new to this. I have a green brittle star that is about 12" in diameter. Just found out from the guys that Trop. that they will eat fish. So I moved him to my sump for the time being till I can give him to Trop. My question is he ok down there? Should I put any food down there, how long is too long to keep him down there. The only reason is my 4 year old is kind of attached to it.

Thank you!

joel

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by ShockSniper View Post
    I'm still fairly new to this. I have a green brittle star that is about 12" in diameter. Just found out from the guys that Trop. that they will eat fish. So I moved him to my sump for the time being till I can give him to Trop. My question is he ok down there? Should I put any food down there, how long is too long to keep him down there. The only reason is my 4 year old is kind of attached to it.

Thank you!

joel
    They do eat fish. If your food you feed your fish can get to where he is in the sump then he will be fine indefinately. Which means you can keep him for as long as you want. I would just feed him a nice size chunk of something meaty every once in a while also.
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

I have a huge brittle as well and its never harmed any of my fish!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by larryandlaura View Post
    I have a huge brittle as well and its never harmed any of my fish!
    Mine has eaten 1 fish and two shrim. So it was time for him to go. The only problem is my son.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

not to sure why but yes the green ones do eat fish! i have witnessed it before, pretty neat to watch if you had a species tank for it but i would not put them in a main tank. should live for a bit in the sump, just make sure he doesnt get sucked up in a skimmer or return pump.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Bummer horror stories!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

tommyjr61 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tomas
    Awards Photo of the Month - December 2012 Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

yes eaten fishes but in the sump you have the control to feed them whit the food that you think is better for keep far a way of your fishes. good luck

CR Member

Default How about little ones?

I just had 4 or 5 little brittle stars hitch hike, do they hurt anything? Main body only 3 mm in size. Arms are less then an inch. Should i begin getting rid of them???????

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by pufferboy View Post
    I just had 4 or 5 little brittle stars hitch hike, do they hurt anything? Main body only 3 mm in size. Arms are less then an inch. Should i begin getting rid of them???????
    There's only a few star fish you have to be concerned about.The green brittle is one that is known to be a predator of fish and the king is a coral eater but if you had one of those you'd have no room they're huge.If your talking about the small black brittle stars they're one of the few that are truely benifical to your tank because they are great cleaners of excess food and waste.The common star fish hitch hiker is the asteria which when kept in check are really no threat.They're the small white ones.I have had a blackish grey asteria type that was very damaging to my corals.I would find them litteraly on top of the polyp's eating away.They loved gobstopers for some reason.I now have the opinon the only good star fish in a reef tank is a dead one.Harlaqin shrimp are neater then star fish anyway lol