[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Should I be worried?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    kgood1 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Kyle

Default Should I be worried?

I have a peppermint shrimp that keeps picking with my rose bTA. Should I worry?

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

If it were a cleaner or skunk shrimp I wouldn't be worried as they would be cleaning dead tissue from the nem.
    But since its a pepp, who knows? They eat what they want, when they want.
    Good Luck.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

First Name
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by chort55 View Post
    are the stripes white or clear?

From my understanding the ones with white stripes are actually camel shrimp which are known to destroy many corals, so then yes I would be worried. If they are clear stripes, I would watch with caution but not be overly concerned as he may just be cleaning it
    thanks, it is not a camel shrimp. I will keep my eye on it.

First Name
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by ReeferRob View Post
    If it were a cleaner or skunk shrimp I wouldn't be worried as they would be cleaning dead tissue from the nem.
    But since its a pepp, who knows? They eat what they want, when they want.
    Good Luck.
    thanks.

handlevandal - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jacki
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

I had a half dozen peps eat about a grand worth of corals because it took me that long to catch them and get them out of the tank once I actually saw one tearing the flesh out of the candy cane acan that I have as my avatar except that it had about twenty big puffy heads by then. They killed all my acans then went for the acros and caps (a couple from pjr's tank), and when there was pretty much nothing left by the time I finally caught the last one and I'll never get peppermint shrimp again.
    Last edited by handlevandal; 05-02-2010 at 05:45 PM.

First Name
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by handlevandal View Post
    I had a half dozen peps eat about a grand worth of corals because it took me that long to catch them and get them out of the tank once I actually saw one tearing the flesh out of the candy cane acan that I have as my avatar except that it had about twenty big puffy heads by then. They killed all my acans then went for the acros and caps (a couple from pjr's tank), and when there was pretty much nothing left by the time I finally caught the last one and I'll never get peppermint shrimp again.
    How did you catch them?

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Peppermint Shrimp=Sea Rats.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

First Name
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by ReeferRob View Post
    Peppermint Shrimp=Sea Rats.
    lol.

handlevandal - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jacki
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

Quote Originally Posted by kgood1 View Post
    How did you catch them?

The first four I managed to get in the middle of the night with a red flashlight and dark clothes on. It took four weekends to get them, one with no luck then one where I got two in the same night. I picked up a cheap brown acan as bait since they seem to like them so much and it worked for the two in the same night.

The last two seemed to figure it out and disappeared almost as soon as I got downstairs armed with a net and the flashlight, although I did interrupt one who was stripping the top layer off of a once healthy blue cap from pjrs tank. So over the next month or so I started moving rocks and using a big net and spending hours just standing there waiting for a shot at one of them. I got the first one on a Sunday after a couple of hours of chasing it and knocking stuff all over the place. I did the same thing for a couple of weeks trying to get the last one out but this one was the devil and finally I had to remove about half of the 100lbs of rock and all the fish and then just kept moving the remaining rock until I had him. I nearly flung him across the room when I knew I had him in the net and just yanked since I'd been at it for most of the day before success. So after a couple of months of insanity I claimed victory and got back to my real life.

Needless to say it destroyed the tank and started another mini cycle. The fish survived, but nothing else did. So after deciding to not give up I started over and left the tank FOWLR for about six months. I've added a few corals over the last few months that seem to be doing fine now, so I may actually have a reef in there again at some time soon.

kozyreef - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by handlevandal View Post
    The first four I managed to get in the middle of the night with a red flashlight and dark clothes on. It took four weekends to get them, one with no luck then one where I got two in the same night. I picked up a cheap brown acan as bait since they seem to like them so much and it worked for the two in the same night.

The last two seemed to figure it out and disappeared almost as soon as I got downstairs armed with a net and the flashlight, although I did interrupt one who was stripping the top layer off of a once healthy blue cap from pjrs tank. So over the next month or so I started moving rocks and using a big net and spending hours just standing there waiting for a shot at one of them. I got the first one on a Sunday after a couple of hours of chasing it and knocking stuff all over the place. I did the same thing for a couple of weeks trying to get the last one out but this one was the devil and finally I had to remove about half of the 100lbs of rock and all the fish and then just kept moving the remaining rock until I had him. I nearly flung him across the room when I knew I had him in the net and just yanked since I'd been at it for most of the day before success. So after a couple of months of insanity I claimed victory and got back to my real life.

Needless to say it destroyed the tank and started another mini cycle. The fish survived, but nothing else did. So after deciding to not give up I started over and left the tank FOWLR for about six months. I've added a few corals over the last few months that seem to be doing fine now, so I may actually have a reef in there again at some time soon.
    wow i would be livid

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last