[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

featherduster eat brine shrimp?

Bookmark and Share
    segraves1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default featherduster eat brine shrimp?

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#got a featherduster today (always thought filter feeders were really cool..........plus this kind of goes with my "macro algea" theam....kind of.....)........it is possible to feed it the same crushed up, feeze dried brine shrimp that my clowns and cleaner shrimp take?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

I be apt to say it's not likely he'd be able to eat brine at all, unless I'm mistake they susbist entirely on phytoplankton and zooplanton they filter from the water column.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

I dont know about brine shrimp but you can target feet them, I would use some phyto and some oyster eggs
    fulltankshot 1 - featherduster eat brine shrimp?

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

They also eat detritus as well as some of the above food items mentioned above.Many filter feeders select food not by what kind(animal,plant,bacteria)but on its size.Phytoplankton is much smaller than zooplankton and is passed into the stomach for digestion.Zooplankton is often rejected by the animal because its too large.As long as the food/material is the right size,it will probably be consumed.

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#so could I crush the brine shrimp up enough or would it still be too big?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

you'd have to get it fine as powder and even that would probably still be too big,I believe phytoplankton is around 5-10 microns so you imagine how fine it would have to be

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#oh well........guess I'll have to get some more reef stew from the LFS.......thanks guys #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

maybe grab a small bottle of DT's phytoplanton..... that's the best thing we've found yet for filter feeders....
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.