[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Bubble Tip Advise

Bookmark and Share

Default Bubble Tip Advise

Just got a new bubble tip and it's awsome. This is my first anenome and I'm not sure what to expect. The desired place I had in mind is is no longer. Do they move alot? What type of water flow is preferred? The location it was in had a moderate flow and strong lighting but I'm thinking it is moving to a lesser flow area. Also, what should I feed this thing?

Chris

They'll wander around until they find a spot they like, then they'll set up shop for a while. Sometimes they'll do another walkabout when they get the urge. Mine has been in the same spot for months. There's no way that I could remove it from the rock either, it's tucked in pretty good.

I feed mine a silverside occasionally, or some other fish stuff from my freezer that I thaw out and shoot onto it with a baster. Provided the fish don't pick it clean, I guess it gets something to eat.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Good luck with the anemone. Depending on the size of the anemone, thin slices of silversides may be better then whole or cut up pieces. It's good that you are asking questions now, everyone will help.....But the best thing to do is ask the questions before you purchase things. The anemone will and can sting any corals that it "walks" over. Try to move them out of the way if possible. My Pagoda cup got stung by my neon bubble anemone. It was attached to a LG piece of rock I couldn't move. It did recover. I hope it settles in quickly, in a spot you can see it. Mine always went to the back of the tank. My tank was viewable on both sides so it wan't too bad. I just wanted it on the other side, lol.

Angie

PurpleAardvark - Reefkeeper CR Member

If you want to know a trick with bubble tips here it is. Find a dead clam and place it on top of the unseperated shell. BTA like to wedge themselves in cracks with a v shape for some reason. wat every you do don't move it unless it is not attached to something. They have a very delecate tissue and it rips easy.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

ReefNeck - Reefkeeper Registered User

Bubbletips are easier to maintain than any other of the "Hosting" anemones. They can be kept with less lighting than most others as long as they are fed often. Silversides as mentioned is one good source of food for them. You can also feed shrimp, The kind you get at the grocery store or fish market.

They don't normally move "alot" but as stated will move about till they are comfortable. Sometimes this results in them hiding under rocks and out of sight. Moderate flow should be good but the anemone will decide what he likes best.

Keri

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK
    Just got a new bubble tip and it's awsome. This is my first anenome and I'm not sure what to expect. The desired place I had in mind is is no longer. Do they move alot? What type of water flow is preferred? The location it was in had a moderate flow and strong lighting but I'm thinking it is moving to a lesser flow area. Also, what should I feed this thing?

Chris

RWalston - Reefkeeper CR Member

Chrisk

Here is a good site about RBTA

Rich

http://www.freewebs.com/karenssaltwater/