[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

bubble tip anemone advice

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    CR Member

Default bubble tip anemone advice

so im going to be picking up a bta in a couple of days and i was just curious if there where any tricks to keeping them anyone could pass down. my water is good and my corals are thriving but i hear that nems can be down right hard to keep. any help is be appreciated

kgood1 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Kyle

I keep hearing conflicting views, I want one for clown pair but I need to find more info as well.

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

I have had bta nems for the last 2 years without major issue

one of the biggest things is to make sure you have enough light for them they are very demanding

the second thing is make sure the foot is not torn or damaged when you get it this is probly the biggest thing that kills them when you first get them

also get some shrimp krill or other meaty food to feed the nem the faster it gets happy the faster it will quit moving around

if you have some really holy rock or lace rock with lots of cracks and channels and what not in it put it close to that they like to wedge their foot between 2 rocks or deep in cracks

cover those power-heads at least initially if the nem lets go of the rock and floats around it can easily become sucked into them and get destroyed

and lastly slow acclimation to your system if you have a small Tupperware container and some mesh netting you can use to hold it in with some rock this works great for getting it to attach to a piece of rock where you can then place it where you want and hope it stays there
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then

CR Member

great advice the one im looking at already has a rock but if it lets go it lets go. what kind of flow should i give it?

med to low flow while you are trying to get it to attach after that it can be increased

typically they don't let go but it dose happen just keep the power-heads covered and be ready to move corals out of its way

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then

CR Member

do they move fast or is it something i have to be here for. ( if there quick then i dont want to come back to a scorched fungia or cynarina because i had to work.)

they move like a snail not really fast

if the corals are in the sand then they should be safe unless it comes off the rock and starts floating around

CR Member

they are but the rock its on is going on the sand as well. i jsut hope i can keep it happy

yea it is a risk

like i said earlier if you have a rock that has lots of crevices and what not it will prefer that and will probably wedge its foot in and might never move again

CR Member

right but thats if it comes of the rock im getting it with. its already been booted into a rock for a few months. so im not sure if its gunna be ****ed enough to let go

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last