[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I LOVE ALGAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bookmark and Share
    segraves1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default I LOVE ALGAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in the past week the micro algae population has exploded and given rise to rolling fields of green, brown/yellow, and red........so much so that I can actually see oxygen bubbles forming on the ends of some strands......it's so pretty (the pair of cleaner shrimpdon't mind either)....... on top of that, I picked up a small clump of some kind of green macro (almost looks like a brillow pad when it was bunched up....) from the LFS (they were using it in their filters)........the lady said "it just does not seem to grow very fast"........I took the stuff home, pulled it apart into small, very loose bunches, and put it in the light......3 days later every clump is sending out really cool "fan" tips.......... so now that I got to do my "happy dance", how do I go about getting some different kinds of macro? Any places that have a good selection or is it possible someone on herewould have a tank/refugium being over run with the stuff and wants to get rid of it?

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Congratulations on your algae...I think! I take it this tank is going to be a planted tank. I'm constantly looking and begging anyone for live saltwater plants for my pony tank. As soon as I can get my hands on more variety, I'm almost ready to dig in the penny jar to afford a few Seahorses. I'm only getting 2 to start. I'm still working on knowing all the ins and outs of Seahorse keeping, and don't want to get them and find out I don't have something they really need. Anyway, if you happen to come across a source that has some red kelp or any other type salt water plants...let me know too please! Have fun with your algae! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and nature in all it's different ways of presenting itself is a gifted blessing! Have fun! .....Angel
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

when I started this tank,I had almost NO idea what I wanted to do......only that:
    #1: I wanted a pair of clowns
    #2:I wanted it simple and reliable
    #3: it couldn't cost a lot

now that the tank has been up for about a month, everything has settled, and the clowns are happy, I have looked around and read more and am moving away from the "coral" idea (still thinking about some mushrooms and zoos) and more towards a "I'll make this a really good macro and micro algae tank that can support a good bio load, then down to road when I can actually afford to do a big tank (and buy all the extra equipment required to docoral), I'll have a really good refugium"........
    note: what I have is Chaetomorpha......... there seems to be quite a bitfor sale on ebay (I may grab up some more)........

well my parents came back from rocky point today and brought with them a couple of common hermit crabs (the standard mini red leg hermits...the $0.99 guys) and some snails were mixed in.....but they also brought with them some macro algae.... clump of red "moss" like macro, some yellowish/green (almost look like some shark cases do) leafy macro, and some yellow "kelp" looking macro......... in addition I think they got a small chunk of orange spung (don't know if it's alive or not...or if I can even keep it alive for long....)....
    it all came out of tide pools so it should do ok......my tank stays kind of warm (around 82) due to the ~100-120watts ofNO florescentlight over it (which is why I think the algae is growing like mad......way more light than is "needed").......