[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Cleaner shrimp parameters.

Bookmark and Share

Default Cleaner shrimp parameters.

A couple of weeks ago, my tank zeroed out on all parameters IE ammonia, trites, and trates. at this time I added 2 pieces of coral. They were some buttons, and green star polyps. There were already mushrooms in there, and about a week after I added the cleaners. Now my parameters are ammonia = 0 nitrites are 0 and my nitrates are 10. I did a 10 gal water change on Tues for approximately 60 gals of volume. My trates are still at 10. Now heres the kicker. Last night, I know one of my cleaners attempted to molt. Unfortunately he succumbed to I think his tank mates 2 other cleaners, and a damsel. So with that Im wondering if the H20 change triggered a molt. What do you guys think the max trates that are allowed for cleaners ?

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

I wouldn't start worrying about nitrates for the shrimp until they reach over 20ppm.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

The nitrates in my tank were around 15 when I got my cleaner shrimp, and doggonit if the thing didn't molt 3 times in 4 weeks! I've since gotten the trates under control (less than 5), and he still molts regularly. I've read that shrimp need good iodine levels to molt properly... maybe your iodine levels are low? However, I would think that any reputable salt mix would have adequate amounts of iodine, and your water changes should replenish it. Whatever the reason, I'm sorry to hear that he didn't make it.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Tracy is correct, many animals thrive with the presense of iodine, especially shrimp for molting. NSW is averages around 0.02meg/L. Might be worth checking into.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

I supplement iodine already with 3 drops every 5 days. The Iodine is used up within 72 hours according to some LFS. It is working CUZ my mushrooms are going like mad. So, I will get a test on Monday to see how much iodine actually is in the H2O.

I know #3 got taken out by either #1 or #2, or those dam damsels. I saw the molted exo under the rocks way in the back, and next thing I know... I see a piece floating with some flesh and the dammy's attack it like a pitbul on a steak. Right there I new that he was no more as I have never seen a crustacean molt and lose flesh. He hasnt shown, and I am 99.99% sure he has been introduced to the food chain as the weak link. So with that Oh well life goes on, and they say that every now and then you lose one during a molt as it is pretty stressful on the shrimp itself. # 1 and # 2 are doing great, still eating like pigs, and picking everything. They have even developed a little relationship with the Dammy's and have set up cleaning shop. Ill try to snap a photo of the cleaning soon.

thanks

RG

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

If you have Damsels Thea may like a shrimp meal occasionally
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7