[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Critters equivelant to blue leg hermits to squelch cyano.

Bookmark and Share
    dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Default Critters equivelant to blue leg hermits to squelch cyano.

Here's the deal, since relocating everything to the larger tank, let it cycle for 2 months (actually was finished in 4 wks) but let it run a bit longer before populating it. But now the dreaded new tank with southdown Cyano is driving me nuts, manual removal every other day is keeping it in check, but not winning the battle. Chemical/Antiboitic treatment is a no-go for me... tried it once before.... it helped but still did other damage. So net best bet it cutting down on the nutrients, and keeping any phosphates/siclicates in check.

But we need to add a much larger cleaning crew, blue leggers really seemed to help before, but we added some brown and red leggers as well for some color... bad mistake, they went nuts and beat the snot out of our asteria snails and we suspect they wiped out our condy too. Angel finally had enough and sent the red and browns to the tidy bowl man, leaving only a few blue leggers, but she doesn't care for them at all...

Suggestions for a on hermit replacement for the blue leggers? to help but down on any nutrients to try to starve out the cyano before it gets totally out of hand? We've still get a serpant star, huge ( ~10inch or so) brittle star, a couple of sea cukes, and a dozen or so turbo snails (add in a bunch of the little baby snails too, but they don't accomplish a lot), a couple of emerals and an arrow, oh yeah and out queen conch (way cool), 12 sqaure feet of floor plus vertical on the rockwork and glass is a LOT of area to cover.

Any non-hermit suggestions?
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Queen conch snails are known as avid cyano grazers, but can get pretty big.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Hmmm... I was under the impression they would only get a couple three inches long... bigger than that? That might even still be cool with only a single one and all the rockwork tied into place so it couldn't be toppled.

The conch is just plain cool to watch, but to be effective right now I'd need at least another couple dozen of them, that'd get epensive in a hurry. I'd like a couple more just to see if I could get lucky and have them reproduce... too bad we're not that lucky else they could help pay for this so called hobby.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.