[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Does anyone know how many starfish you can have in a tank?

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Does anyone know how many starfish you can have in a tank?

I am aware that some brittle stars and serpent stars can be trouble if hungry. I am just curious if there is a limit to how many you can have in a tank? I currently have three and they are all model citizens.
    Jen

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

3? Lol Seems to work for you
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

I have ONE in a 60ish gallon tank. It was a model citizen for a couple years. Recently, I had five new fish go missing. And he seems to be the only possible culprit. Gonna move him to another tank soon as I can catch him easily. My six year old is convinced he is an octopus, I know she will miss him...

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by dlhirst View Post
    I have ONE in a 60ish gallon tank. It was a model citizen for a couple years. Recently, I had five new fish go missing. And he seems to be the only possible culprit. Gonna move him to another tank soon as I can catch him easily. My six year old is convinced he is an octopus, I know she will miss him...
    Do you know what species it is? Just curious because mine hang out with my gobies and show no interest in them. They could have eaten them easily many times.

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

It's this one:

Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: Brittle Sea Star, Fancy Starfish

and I will admit to seriously underfeeding my tank. So, that probably goes to the problem...

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by dlhirst View Post
    It's this one:

Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: Brittle Sea Star, Fancy Starfish

and I will admit to seriously underfeeding my tank. So, that probably goes to the problem...
    Ok never owned that kind so I can't comment on their behavior. I did make the mistake of never feeding my first starfish years ago and not letting food sit long enough after feedings. I was still used to the fw rule of removing uneaten food after a few minutes. Well it cost my wrasse his life... After doing more research I learned that I should target feed the star and never lost another fish to him. Had that starfish for 8 years. So I think most of these guys only resort to hunting when no other food is available.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I've got one that looks the same as that one Don. Fortunately its seems to be well behaved. But I wouldn't be shocked I guess if it did snack on a tank mate. Mine lives in the Alternative Reef frag station on the back wall and when I feed pellets it skims the water surface and catches the pellets by stretching its legs out just under the water surface and waving the back and forth. Its one of the star attractions in my tank for people that aren't in our hobby.

CR Member

Yikes that is a lot more aggressive feeding than any of mine! That might just be one of the few exceptions then that has no real problem hunting down fish if it gets the urge.