[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Dont let the screen door hit you on your way out !

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    jim

Default Dont let the screen door hit you on your way out !

Soooooo im sure everybody in this hobby has sometime or other had a critter that just wasnt behaving,,,whether he threatens to beat another fish up after school,. hogs the tank, or as my crab does head buts my coral....whatever the case might be these little guys need to go because they dont play fair.....and not to fishy heaven....what do we do with them....because my crab has got to go....and i aint anywhere near the florida keys.

like im talkin prison sentence on this crab.....murderin $#^%@ lol

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I would either try to sell it, or offer it for free here on the site. Obviously disclose why you are removing it so someone else doesn't have the same issue. What doesn't fit with your livestock may work perfectly for someone else. You may also call your LFS to see if they would be willing to help rehome it.

Under no circumstance, should you release your livestock back to the ocean. (The exception would be if you knew it was collected it from that spot.) Releasing non-native species into the environment can do massive harm to the ecosystem. If they happen to survive, it is possible they could go unchecked do to the absence of a natural predator and out compete other native species.

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

Banish him to the sump!

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I agree- to the sump he goes!

Or give him to someone who may have a tank set up for misfit critters. Beleive it or not, many have these tanks set up.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

+1 Sump and sell
    Flushing is a bit brutal and you want to keep the peace in the reef. Most "LFS" will "buy" your unwanted fish. Normally for a very small amount of store credit. Or so I hear. Don't have this option in my area so we just take ours over to our Happy local coral slinger and he puts the misfit fish to work cleaning the coral tanks and whatnot

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Definately sump it! However I have a evil Damsel in mine I cant even give away!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

If its an errant damsel or pseudo chromis, I vote feed them to nems, dendros or rhyzos. Or sump it, very few fellow reefers are going to take a damsel off your hands.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

If ya cant give it away, sump it, or feed it whole to a coral-

You can always toss it in a food processor, freeze it, and use it for fish/coral food. Natures way in its finest. Dont ever just flush it and waste it.....

Disclaimer- There are a few very effective and humane ways to euthanize saltwater creatures, before tossing them in a blender.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    If ya cant give it away, sump it, or feed it whole to a coral-

You can always toss it in a food processor, freeze it, and use it for fish/coral food. Natures way in its finest. Dont ever just flush it and waste it.....

Disclaimer- There are a few very effective and humane ways to euthanize saltwater creatures, before tossing them in a blender.
    Clove oil?