[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Finally found him tonight!! Went spear fishing!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Finally found him tonight!! Went spear fishing!

I finally found the little guy ripping up any fresh fragged coral/polyp I put in my tank. I was almost suspect of my scarlet emerald crab, but for some reason just couldnt place the blame there. I caught site of something small and black, a couple months ago, but it disapeared very very fast, and havnt seen it again, till tonight!

After the initial sighting, I figured it could be anything, till I noticed corals getting ripped up, or sometimes just moved. One colony of zoas in particular were always getting completely flipped over. It is a good sized rock too! I also noticed, under the rock work, at the bottom of the tank, that some frags had been "stolen", and stuck into rock crevices, very unaturaly. I thought this very very strange......kinda like something was using these frags as a door, or wall, for hiding out. Had to be the little black thing I spotted months ago, I figured.

It had been so long since the last brief sighting, I decided- I will never find this crab, or at least what I figured was a crab. I was stuck with it- forever. I was WRONG!!!

Came home tonight, light fully ablaze, and saw a much bigger black blur, duck behind a rock. Again, very fast, but it was so easy to see, from feet away, because of the unusual blackness of its shell. I hurried towords the tank, and there it was! A Black Fingered Mud crab - Xanthid crab. Barely hiding behind his rock, and not very well either! I figured- this has got to be my one chance! I ran to the junk drawer, grabbed a rubber band, then proceeded to look for my kabob skewers......and couldnt find them......and couldnt find them.....and still couldnt find them. I figured- crabs gone......and I found them!

I grabbed 2 and got back to the tank, figuring it long gone, but it was still there. Picking at rocks even! I rigged up my ruberband/skewer harpoon, and got him! First shot! He wasnt dead yet though......just skewered and quite alive. I held him pinned to the rock with the skewer, and stabbed him with the second. Had to get him a couple good times, just to be sure. No barbs on the skewers made retracting it from an alive crab risky. Didnt want him to scurry away and possibly die, but possibly not.

Hope it was the only one. The carapice was about the size of a quarter, all black, with zebra stripped legs. The carapice got lost, as the coris wrasse decided he was junch, after the harpooning, but got the body out.

Thought I was stuck with this one!!!! So relieved hes gone!
    Likes Chelle's Ocean, TheLittleMermaid liked this post

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    I finally found the little guy ripping up any fresh fragged coral/polyp I put in my tank. I was almost suspect of my scarlet emerald crab, but for some reason just couldnt place the blame there. I caught site of something small and black, a couple months ago, but it disapeared very very fast, and havnt seen it again, till tonight!

After the initial sighting, I figured it could be anything, till I noticed corals getting ripped up, or sometimes just moved. One colony of zoas in particular were always getting completely flipped over. It is a good sized rock too! I also noticed, under the rock work, at the bottom of the tank, that some frags had been "stolen", and stuck into rock crevices, very unaturaly. I thought this very very strange......kinda like something was using these frags as a door, or wall, for hiding out. Had to be the little black thing I spotted months ago, I figured.

It had been so long since the last brief sighting, I decided- I will never find this crab, or at least what I figured was a crab. I was stuck with it- forever. I was WRONG!!!

Came home tonight, light fully ablaze, and saw a much bigger black blur, duck behind a rock. Again, very fast, but it was so easy to see, from feet away, because of the unusual blackness of its shell. I hurried towords the tank, and there it was! A Black Fingered Mud crab - Xanthid crab. Barely hiding behind his rock, and not very well either! I figured- this has got to be my one chance! I ran to the junk drawer, grabbed a rubber band, then proceeded to look for my kabob skewers......and couldnt find them......and couldnt find them.....and still couldnt find them. I figured- crabs gone......and I found them!

I grabbed 2 and got back to the tank, figuring it long gone, but it was still there. Picking at rocks even! I rigged up my ruberband/skewer harpoon, and got him! First shot! He wasnt dead yet though......just skewered and quite alive. I held him pinned to the rock with the skewer, and stabbed him with the second. Had to get him a couple good times, just to be sure. No barbs on the skewers made retracting it from an alive crab risky. Didnt want him to scurry away and possibly die, but possibly not.

Hope it was the only one. The carapice was about the size of a quarter, all black, with zebra stripped legs. The carapice got lost, as the coris wrasse decided he was junch, after the harpooning, but got the body out.

Thought I was stuck with this one!!!! So relieved hes gone!
    nice shot i would have tore the tank apart to get something like that
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Wow sounds like a good time lol. Glad you got the crab out.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Fish Dad - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

Great read, I'm just learning and enjoy everyone stories....
    I'm sure it will make some one out there mad that you killed it - but fishing in your own tank - cool....You have some real spearing skill - Now I understand the King Neptune rating.....

So are crabs like mice if you see one your have more?? Any idea how it got there or advice to keep them out?

There isn't a mini crap trap??? It could be a fun DIY project? Tooth picks & super glue....

Then CR could make it a Contest - Look what I didn't know I had in my tank .....

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

At Fish Dad: Sir's crab was most likely a hitchhiker. Which means it entered his tank (without his permission lol) via a new coral or live rock. Xanthid crabs are not reef safe!! Just one of the many great reasons we should, dip, inspect and QT all new arrivals to our reefs.

---
    - IPhone+Tapatalk=I don't miss a thing!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com
    Likes Chelle's Ocean liked this post

Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

DId you tell Steph you have crabs? lol

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

Nice story! I'll have to remember the whole spear fishing idea next time I want something out :D

nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

Great story, sounds like it would have made a great video

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris

Wish I had time for a video! I thought for sure I was going to not get this guy!

I, myself, was a bit sad to have to kill this crab, to get it out of the tank.......it was truely a beautiful animal. If it wasnt for the need to get him out of a system that couldnt keep it, finacialy and ethicaly for my fish and coral, I would have loved to keep it.

I do however have some pics, of the crab (Minus carapice) and my favorite in tank fishing device. Will share them soon.
    Likes Chelle's Ocean liked this post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last