[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

emerald crabs and peppermint shrimp

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    Andy

Default emerald crabs and peppermint shrimp

About a month or so ago, I put 3 emerald crabs in my tank too get rid of bubble algae.They haven't really done much in that regard.Before I put the crabs in there would always be 2 peppermint shrimp that would come out of the during feeding time,and 2-3 smaller ones I could see at night with a red colored flashlight.Now the crabs become active at feeding time,and I have only seen 1 of the big shrimp once I check ed the tank a few nights in a row and have seen none of the smaller ones. I guess my question is do emerald crabs eat peppermint shrimp? Thanks Andy

Crabs are opportunistic feeders... if they come across something that can be eaten they will eat it. Keep an eye out for those shrimp; they might just be hiding really well! If you don't see them again, I would guess that maybe the crabs got them while they were molting (most vulnerable). Not much help for the here and now, I know.

I have kept them together for years without losses of peppermint shrimp. IME the emerald crabs are not a danger to peppermint shrimp. If the shrimp were fry, that could be a different story.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

I would agree, peppermint shrimp are very reclusive. I wouldnt write them off. just keep checking at night. I thought I lost all mine and when i was cleaning the tank they showed up.
    fulltankshot 1 - emerald crabs and peppermint shrimp

carpenterwrasse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    George

mine hid for weeks then one day they were back...i did have an arrow crab that eat all but one once....needless to say he went the way of the pet store..
    george
    check this girl out she is a great singer

http://myspace.com/nicolejamesmusic

CR Member
    First Name
    Andy

You guys are are right 3nights ago I saw 2 of them and last night I saw 4. I imagine it was just bad timing when I was looking for them.