[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Hermit Crabs

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    reef123 - Reefkeeper Registered User

none of my blue or red hermit crabs have ever done anything bad.

CR Member

The scarlet hermits are the most passive and only eat algae. IMO they are the most reef safe because they don't mess with corals or snails etc. The bluelegs in my tank are prolific and mean but they do eat detrious nicely. Just my 2 cents :-)
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that stupidity has no limits!

buzzard - Reefkeeper CR Member

I have about 30 small Blue leg hermit crabs that do an awsome cleanup job on both the rocks and the sand.
    When I feed the fish, they also go nuts, It's like watching the three stooges or something.
    I have never seen them eat any of my live snails.
    I also keep a bunch of empty shells for NEW HOMES.
    I have seen a couple of them rip other crabs out of there shells and kill them but not eat them or take there shell???Whats up with that???

iVgOnMaD - Reefkeeper CR Member

I have like ten hermits, all are small, they run around in a pack, knocking my small frags off their spot, they are always messing with my snails but they sure look funny. They also fight but have never seen them kill each other
    60g Tank: 10g Fuge/Sump, Current Nova Extreme 4x54w T5HO + 4 LED, Wave2k, 2x Seio M620, Euro-Reef RS5-2 Skimmer, 130 lbs Live Rock, 3" Live Sand, LPS Corals, Zoa's, Saddle Anemone, Pulsating Xenia, GSP, Neon GSP, Purple Shrooms, Crocea Clam, Pair of Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Tail Damsel, Coral Beauty Angel, Black Sailfin Blenny, Eel (Gymnothorax tile), Coral Banded Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, Sally Light Foot Crab.

mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

i have got 10 blue legs comeing to me, and one that is in the tank already, I don't like them but they are needed... they just better leave me snails alone... lol
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

bobert - Reefkeeper Registered User

i have only two hermits a scarlet and another big one(don't know what kind) and they dont touch either of my sails or eachother but the big one thinks he's in charge of redecorating my tank he moves my smaller rocks
    :smt069Bobert:smt029

On the road of life only question the important things and youll find the road gets smoother up ahead:iroc:

We have both reds and blues and have seen both go after snails. And I have some pretty big snails, no matter what kind you have if he decides he want the shell the snail is in he WILL take it. It's just the nature of the critter. Actually it dosen't seem to matter if he needs a new shell, he just wants THAT one. I've seen them fighting over the shell WHILE killing the snail to get it.And right next to the snail is a BIGGER EMPTY SHELL. Thats why we have to keep replacing them. Thank goodness they aren't that pricey!
    Hi my name is sarah, and I've got the Upgrade Bug!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!!!!

CR Member
    First Name
    John

I have B + R legged hermits and they are helpful and fun to watch. They leave the snails alone except one awful battle tween a red l. crab and a Nassarius snail. They fought like mad for about 30 sec. and then parted never to fight again that I've seen.
    Gohn

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2