[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

hitchhiker starfish

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

Default hitchhiker starfish

So about a year ago I started buying corals again and getting hitchhiking Asterina stars. Last week I caught one on my purple haze monti, I removed it and found that it took a large chunk out of my healthy monti. I was looking at the tank last night and saw something in the rockwork. A large Asterina star, measuring over 3cm. I took a picture before I bagged and disposed of it.

IMG 8891 - hitchhiker starfish

First Name
    Manoj
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Tank of the Month

These are not good starfish, you should remove it.

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Watch em they love zoos too! I dont care what anyone else says I have witnessed it personally in my tank.
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

First Name
    Nate

Thanks until this species I've never had a problem. Now I keep a close watch. And that one is gone, kept it long enough for my photo records.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

i have them all over my tank, my experience is good so far with them, they just eat all the bad stuff in my tank, i had a zoa that was at it's outs and i was trying to save it (probably wouldn't of happened) and the next day i found one of these stars completely covering the single polyp frag, he was eating all of the dead flesh from it. i wouldn't draw to conclusion that he intentionally ate your monti but maybe that there was dead flesh on it and he ate the dead flesh from the piece.

i know if they are the majority black then they are bad, but majority white most people have no issues.

Skyhigh - Reefkeeper

First Name
    Bryan
    Awards Photo of the Month - June 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Referral Award Photo of the Month

I all ways toss them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

These little guys get a bad rap for eating corals, mainly zoas. I did my own research on these, I have em too and after many many articles I've come to the conclusion that they are harmless. That when seen on corals they are merely eating the dead or dying flesh.
    Do some more research before deciding what to do with them.
    Last edited by MizTanks; 03-03-2011 at 09:04 AM.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member

I've seen them kill a frag of my Bam Bam. Then go after my eagles eyes......I saved the eagle eyes. I have always seen a small amount in my tank, but I've noticed they cause issues when there is a population explosion of them. In general keep them under control.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I am convinced there are at least a couple different varieties of asterina, reef safe and not reef safe, and most are impossible to differentiate.

First Name
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    I am convinced there are at least a couple different varieties of asterina, reef safe and not reef safe, and most are impossible to differentiate.
    Very true. So far it has been the perfect six sided that has given me trouble. The oddball ones haven't touch anything from what I've seen. Still watching them all but the perfect six meet the trash. This could be an interesting project to keep track of and investigate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last