[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

how to get an anemone to move?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Default how to get an anemone to move?

I purchased this maxi mini a week ago. The LFS gave it to me in this plastic container. The anemone was stuck to the side corner of the container. I placed the entire container in my tank when I got home because it didn't seem to want to come free. I waited several days hoping it would move...didn't move. Then I put the container upside down in the tank hoping it would move. Still no change.

Someone suggested they don't like cold water/ice at their feet. So I tried rubbing and ice cube around it's foot. Still no change. As I type this, I have the container surrounded by ice and snow hoping to make the outside cold enough it gets uncomfortable and moves. Going on 15 minutes and still no change.

Any other suggestions?

maximini stuck1 - how to get an anemone to move?

maximini stuck2 - how to get an anemone to move?

CR Member
    First Name
    Christy

Hmm... I'd just snip the container, leaving where the anemone's foot is attached then throw it in your tank. It'll move where it wants and when it wants. I wouldn't put snow under its foot... it could shock the thing, then you'll have a dead nem.

CR Member
    First Name
    Christy

I wonder if anemones have hot/cold sensors in their foot.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

A few peeps said to use ice. Figured the cooling the outside of the container might be a better way to go.

I'd rather try to place it in the tank than let it go where it wants. After all I know where it will be the happiest.

Here is a pic as it looks now...I had to mess with a little with more ice around the foot, but at least now it is looking a bit upset.

maximini stuck3 - how to get an anemone to move?

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

I've always been able to move RBTA by gently working your finger between the foot and whatever it's attached to. I've got a bunch of mini-maxis, but I haven't tried to move any of them - I would *think* it would work the same.

It seems it would be much less stressful then the ice method.

henry hill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Talk to it Jim, (Come on little Nem, let go, let go)

First Name
    Manoj
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Tank of the Month

Remove all water from the tray and hold it inverted and it will let go.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Yeah, tried the finger method already. Its got a death grip on that container. I'm gonna give it a couple more minutes and then I guess I will try to cut the container. Now that it is retracted, I should be able to cut it pretty close and maybe make a point that I can jam into the live rock so hopefully if it moves off, it will be near the desired spot.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

So Manoj....your saying let it hang dry until it falls off?

I used that model with mini-carpets and mini-BTAs and they seemed none the worse after it. Never took longer than 5 minutes or so.... would sometimes "help" them come loose after a few minutes by prying them a bit with a plastic pen cap or something like that.
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last