[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I want to irradicate my Asterina starfish population?

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default I want to irradicate my Asterina starfish population?

I have zillions of these things like everyone else except I'm the lucky on with the coral eating breed. These guys eat acans, zoos, & sps. I tried scooping them out and I swear they just came back stronger. I tried Harlequin shrimp and they only eat like 1 a day. I want to add gasoline to my tank and set it on fire just to kill these guy that's how much I hate them. I heard interceptor or flatworm exit would work but no solid proof from anyone. Also I don't care about my CUC only my fish and acans so does anyone have any proof for suggestions they can throw my way. I never felt so helpless from something so small.

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

I had thousands of these. i got a harly and 6 weeks later no stars all gone. It took a bit for him to get started but once he did I was buying them by the hundreds. He would eat 100 in a week. Just give the shrimp time.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Agreed...harlequin shrimp in the long run will take them out.

CR Member

I only have a female haly but she's been in the tank for about 4 months and is strictly nocturnal

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by What'sacoral View Post
    I only have a female haly but she's been in the tank for about 4 months and is strictly nocturnal
    yeah they pretty much are. So are the stars though.

CR Member

My cuc is pretty depleted at this point due to a couple of wrasses so before I stock back up I wanted to wipe these stars .. Anyone want to pimp out there haly for a couple of weeks or so?

youngtimothy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tim
    Awards Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

my harleys stay hidden when they are eating, I know they are out of food when they are out hunting when the lights are on.

Default where are you located?

if you are close maybe we can work something out.

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by What'sacoral View Post
    My cuc is pretty depleted at this point due to a couple of wrasses so before I stock back up I wanted to wipe these stars .. Anyone want to pimp out there haly for a couple of weeks or so?
    Well this is WHY you have some many of these stars. Astrina and Bristle worms are alike in the fact that they will both reproduce exponentially as long as there is FOOD available. If you added other CUC to the tank, reducing the amount of available food, the population of the stars would also decline.

This along with the shrimp should reduce their numbers drastically.

Also, just a point for thought, what do you think your tank would look like without all the stars? There is a reason you have so many....