[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Invasive Sponge

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Default Invasive Sponge

Recently my clam bed has been attacked by two types of sponges. I've heard that sponge growth is a sign of a healthy tank? But this is getting crazy. I was wondering if anyone else has any experiences they can share?

I have three clams up in the bed. They are absolutely thriving and open up beautifully every day. There is a smaller clam, a maxima that has recently become shaded by one of the two croceas. I went to move the clam the other day and noticed that it wasn't attached at it's foot, but all three were incased together in a thick white sponge. I didn't realize this because they open up so fully I hardly ever see the shell and when I do,..... it looks normal? Good....Bad??!

And right next to the clam bed in a slightly more shaded area under an over hang is a spot I keep about 5 or so Florida Ricordea. Slowly over about the last month or more, I've notice this area becoming overgrown with a similar sponge but more peachy or pink in color. There only appears to be one ric a smaller one that is effected by it. All other corals seem just fine.

So I don't know, I've never experienced this type of sponge growth. Should I let it go on? Or should I try to groom it and propogate it?
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

No expert here- but when in doubt w/ sponges, groom it (and propogate it if you wish) and get an ID in the meantime.

There are too many sponges out there that will over grow nice corals to let it go loose in the meantime.

First Name
    Rob

Bump for a new day!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Rob,

I wouldn't worry about the sponge growth, as it shouldn't be causing any problems. However, if if bothers you then chop away!

Tom

Skyhigh - Reefkeeper

First Name
    Bryan
    Awards Photo of the Month - June 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Referral Award Photo of the Month

Wheres the pics????????????????

First Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    Rob,

I wouldn't worry about the sponge growth, as it shouldn't be causing any problems. However, if if bothers you then chop away!

Tom
    Tom do you think I should be concerned with sponges traveling throughout the tank, if I choose to remove them. I want to try and avoid them growing everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
    Wheres the pics????????????????
    Wait, is this an actual post by Skyhigh!! LOL you know this isn't the chat right? LOL

Seriously though, I did try they just turned out kinda crappy not showing much of anything.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I hate those encrusting sponges. I have black ones and yellow ones and they tend to snuff things out. My advice is get it while you can unless you think it's the cooler than anything else that it is threatening to take over.

cephalotus - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

Get it out of there carefully encrusting sponges can take over fast and any little peice that breaks of can start a new colony fast.

thefishgirl - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Becky

I've been having issues with a nasty looking black sponge type of thing encrusting three of my Acanthastrea echinatas recently. The one echinata has been completely choked out and killed. That being said, I think they were also reacting to a water temp issue which has since been corrected.

When I get a few minutes and I'm home, I'll try to get some pictures posted before I toss the whole rock out.

First Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by thefishgirl View Post
    I've been having issues with a nasty looking black sponge type of thing encrusting three of my Acanthastrea echinatas recently. The one echinata has been completely choked out and killed. That being said, I think they were also reacting to a water temp issue which has since been corrected.

When I get a few minutes and I'm home, I'll try to get some pictures posted before I toss the whole rock out.
    Yes, please. It would be nice to ID that what ever it is too. It is a weird looking spongey thingy. LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last