[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Lettuce Sea Slug

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Lettuce Sea Slug

The local LFS has a lettuce sea slug. I have read that they are big hair algae eaters and I am considering getting one to help out. Any opinions on them?

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

they are super, however... they need to be fed(or removed once HA is gone), watch your powerheads and overflows, lastly... they are generally short lived.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Whoyah, what'd I tell you about cruising around in my head???
    Angel and I were actually looking at one today, but didn't know about the shorter life span, thanks Repto. So far we've managed to keep HA in check, actually it's pretty much non existant now, lawnmover blenny (aka Gumpy) has been doing his job, took him less than a week to clear the 55g of it all and he's so much more personable than a slug. Now he's taken to eating flake food daily for the better part of his diet. LB's get a big :thumbright: from me for algae control.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Duhh :scratch: , hadn't considered a lawnmower blenny. Sometimes I wonder if my brain is turned on.

True, a fish is much more interesting then a slug. They like flake food too hunh. Might need to buy one. Thanks :thumbleft: .

Fox face/rabbit fish are excellent for HA, too... they are pretty spaztic, though.

I stopped at the LFS tonight and they actually have a Lawnmower blenny. :D Apparently ha has been there over two months and I have never noticed him. I guess he likes to hide under a rock and I just happen to see him out and about. Do they eat macro algae as well or just the small stuff? I think I will wait a few weeks to see how Dory is doing on the algae control before I buy the blenny.

They are more of a scraper...combmouth... they'll eat meat products, though. Basically, they love the short trimmed HA, and micro algae coatings. It's kinda cool to see where they've eaten off the glass when you let the algae film grow a bit... looks like little puckered lips.

carpenterwrasse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    George

I have an urchin inmy 75 that almost keeps my lr spotless I wish i had known how benefital they were sooner
    check this girl out she is a great singer

http://myspace.com/nicolejamesmusic

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

I've wanted urchins for as long as the tank has been up, but I don't want to deal with them knocking stuff over on me all the time, we have a hard enough time to to keep eerything standing upright as it is now. Every time we (we means Angel) clear out LR from one area to clean or re-aquascape we find more frags living in a hole or something...great surprises, but not always so great for the critters.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Urchins ARE the bulldozers of the sea!!!! Besides, they'll also devour coralline algae. I've still got mine, though... he's been a resident of the fuge for a few years now.

Repto

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last