[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

maxi/mini anemone question

Bookmark and Share
    jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default maxi/mini anemone question

what is exactly considered a maxi/mini anemone? i have mini carpets about the size of a 1/2 dollar coin but i always called them mini carpets. now i see these maxi/mini anemones everywhere so just trying to clarify my understanding of them. is there 2 different types? mini anemone and maxi anemone? or is it just one group of each considered the same thing?

thanks!

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Not sure...although I like them.

I think these get 3-5-inches in diameter...so they are bigger than the mini carpets that everyone has had. And they seem to come in more colors.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Maximum color, mini package?? IDK but was wondering the same thing! Do Clown host in them? Do they walk around like other nems?
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

yeah ive seen the "maxi/mini" anemones before in store and they are bigger than the ones i have i was just wondering if there was a difference. they are pretty hot right now, a lot of LFS got some shipments in this week with them.

rob: my mini carpets walk around like other anemones and more than just mushrooms, ive had them move from the bottom of my 1g to the top of it about 4" within a day, i'd have to say they look better than any ricordea ive had in my tank as well. i think mine are to small to host clowns but maybe the mini/maxi anemones, i believe mine is just the mini. this is where i get confused, is mine the mini, and the bigger ones the maxi? and saying maxi/mini anemone is a combination of both or what??

my brain hurts!

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I think they are not as apt to walk around as other nems.

I've seen referrences to mini carpets and mini/maxis. I'm not sure if they are the same thing or not?

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by jolson10450 View Post
    what is exactly considered a maxi/mini anemone? i have mini carpets about the size of a 1/2 dollar coin but i always called them mini carpets. now i see these maxi/mini anemones everywhere so just trying to clarify my understanding of them. is there 2 different types? mini anemone and maxi anemone? or is it just one group of each considered the same thing?

thanks!
    The latest CORAL magazine has an article on them. The author runs an aquaculture facility that has been propagating and selling them for "some time". She states that they are a not yet described species, but according to an anemone expert they are definitely not Mini carpets (Stichodactyla tapetum).

Quote Originally Posted by ReeferRob View Post
    Do Clown host in them? Do they walk around like other nems?
    According to the article they "...are not know to host clownfish" but "may be attractive to anemone shrimp and commensal crabs". It also says they live in or on rock and once settled usually stay in one place.

HTH,
    Tom

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

thanks tom! i have the mini's for sure, just trying to clarify it.

Another difference between the two is that the mini mini's tend to reproduce by "cloning" in captivity quite readily where the maxi mini's do not seem to do so. They need to be encouraged...muhahaha MuHaHaHa MUHAHAHA. Ahem, sorry about that
    4OlZpQ7 - maxi/mini anemone question