[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

my pepermint shrimp killed my rock anemones

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    Doug

Default my pepermint shrimp killed my rock anemones

Among my acquisitions at the Lansing Swap, I got an beautiful rock anemones and 4 peppermint shrimp from Dick Perrin at the Tropicorium booth. After be home and in tank for couple of weeks one of the peppermints started picking at the nem. At first thought it was just searching for food, but noticed that it kept coming back to the nem, I even moved the nem and it still found it. After nothing else worked to keep the peppermint away I moved the nem to an qt. I was too late and he didn't make it. Is this an common problem with peppermint shrimp or did I just get an rough one?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

That's interesting... I also added several peppermint shrimp after the lansing swap and have noticed one of my rocks nems not looking very well. I haven't seen the shrimp picking at it, but I think it is a possibility that is why it looks ticked off.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Yes, fairly sure. The eat aptasia....and apparently rock nems.

pinhigh1886 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

Hmmmm. I also bought a rock anemone at the Lansing Swap and then drove down to Tropicorium to buy another one. Love them!! My peprmint shrimp stays away unless there is food in the nem. I just shoe him away with my Julian Thing as I am feeding. My pepermint shrimp did the same thing to my Rhizo once and almost lost one of his antenna! It was kind of funny. The Rhizo would not let go and the shrimp was freaking out. He hasn't been back.

How often do you feed meaty foods? I feed my tank some sort of Brine, Mysis, or combo food everyday so maybe my shrimp isn't as hungry Also how easy was it to move your Rock Nem? I placed mine side by side by the base of my rock scape. One has attached under the rock and the other shot its boot all the way down to the glass bottom. It would probably be nearly impossible to remove them. If it never attached after a few days it might have just not been happy with it's location from the beginning?

First Name
    John

LOL I agree. Just like my Emerald Crab eating my Birds Nest! Just no algae in my tank and he got hungry enough I guess. I still haven't caught that little sucker!

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Ill take your peppermints lol, i got more than enough nuisance nems to be eaten haha

First Name
    John

I have never seen a peppermint eat aptasia? Huh, I must be feeding them too much.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by pinhigh1886 View Post
    I have never seen a peppermint eat aptasia? Huh, I must be feeding them too much.
    Yup that's what I get them for. Most of the time they do a great job with them. I had a few cropping up in my tank prior to Lansing and now I'm down to just one.

I'm going to watch the rock nem a bit. Moving it will be very difficult...it is attached to my largest rock.
    Last edited by jimsflies; 03-01-2013 at 02:21 PM.

CR Member
    First Name
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Are you guys sure they are peppermints? Camel shrimp look very similar and are supposed to be more likely to mess with stuff then peppermints, which could help further explain the rouge behavior.... just a thought.
    well I'm taking Dick Perrin's word that that's what they are figure he's the expert........

CR Member
    First Name
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by pinhigh1886 View Post
    Hmmmm. I also bought a rock anemone at the Lansing Swap and then drove down to Tropicorium to buy another one. Love them!! My peprmint shrimp stays away unless there is food in the nem. I just shoe him away with my Julian Thing as I am feeding. My pepermint shrimp did the same thing to my Rhizo once and almost lost one of his antenna! It was kind of funny. The Rhizo would not let go and the shrimp was freaking out. He hasn't been back.

How often do you feed meaty foods? I feed my tank some sort of Brine, Mysis, or combo food everyday so maybe my shrimp isn't as hungry Also how easy was it to move your Rock Nem? I placed mine side by side by the base of my rock scape. One has attached under the rock and the other shot its boot all the way down to the glass bottom. It would probably be nearly impossible to remove them. If it never attached after a few days it might have just not been happy with it's location from the beginning?
    pretty sure he was happy at first, shortly after placing him there I wanted to move him an little from where he was and was already attached until the shrimp started picking on him.
    I guess it could be not enough of the right food for them, I don't have any aptasia in tank but plenty of other nuisance stuff.