[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

need help identifying lots of things. please help

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    greenman - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default need help identifying lots of things. please help

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i just bought a 55g tank from this guy and this is my first. ive been trying to identify some of the creatures in the tank.i have been doing well except a few anemones (i think) have me stumped. any help would be greatly apreciated.im not sure if its good or bad. im guessing bad. it seems to be reproducing quit fast. there are about 5 of them, this being the largest at about 2 inches. the tank is also covered with what i believe to be aiptasia.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG alt="image file name: 2k6eb8713157.jpg" src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2k6eb8713157.jpg" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG alt="image file name: 2k20f24fd4cc.jpg" src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2k20f24fd4cc.jpg" border=0#ed_cl#is this aiptasia?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# thanks for the help. i have lots more growths and questions. i just didnt want to overload anyone#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

No worries about overloading...feel free to post away (if there are really that many break them up into similar groups and start a thread/topic for each)

The second pic sure looks like aptasia to me, not 100% sure about the first one though, it's very similar but the transparency is really cool.

Great pics BTW.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Aptasia.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

shovelhead91701 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Shawn

what is the harm in having these in your tank? will they multiply too quickly and harm the corals etc?
    The days are long and the work is difficult but every night I sleep as a man who has achieved his goals.

Limpit - Reefkeeper CR Member

Yes, Aptasia will take over a tank in a very little time. I can remember several years ago when reef tanks first started to show up around here in the early 80's that a LFS had a tank that was just covered with them. Just LR with Aptasia all over it and a couple of Blue Damsels and they called it a reef tank, LOL.
    I would recommend getting rid of the Aptasia as soon as you can.
    Dakar recommended to me to use Pickling Lime and it worked great to get rid of a couple of them that I had.
    Happy Reefing!

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# yea man , my tank is infested with this junk. i got itset up about a week ago and i noticed today that there are 20 or so tiny ones popping up. some arent quite "rooted" yet. man i swear theres got to be 75 to 100 of these things.i heard that peperment shrimp will eat the small ones but not any of decent size. i also heard that a six lined wrase would eat them but i have a few sorry pieces of coral that i would like to save. the pet shop up the street said that the clear anemonae was cool. he didnt know what the name for it was but he seem to think that it was somewhat desirable. it does not have a tube like the aiptasia. it comes out of a clunp that sits on the rock.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# i have more pics if anyone would like to guess what they are.what about these things?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG style="WIDTH: 372px; HEIGHT: 237px" height=397 alt="image file name: 2kceceb07ce6.jpg" src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2kceceb07ce6.jpg" width=497 border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG alt="image file name: 2kb127db0fa9.jpg" src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2kb127db0fa9.jpg" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG alt="image file name: 2ka93bfc220a.jpg" src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2ka93bfc220a.jpg" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG alt="image file name: 2k0e32185b9c.jpg" src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2k0e32185b9c.jpg" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Buttons, sponge, sponge, buttons.

BTW, look at the LFS for aptasia eating shrimp(peppermints) or even a copperband butterfly. Dakar's idea with the pickling lime will do a great job, too.

what do i do with the pickling lime? thanks for all the help guys.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

The method being reffered to for getting rid of the aptasia is simple, mix up a few teaspoons of pickling lime with just enough water to make it into a thick paste, apply the paste right to the aptasia. Smother the suckers with the paste, we use a syringe (minus the needle) they'll be history within 24 hours. The paste will disolve into the water column as calcium that is useful for other inhabitants.

Just be as careful as you can not to paste up anything you don't want dead and gone, it's quite potent.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last