[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

need help identifying lots of things. please help

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

The button polyps are good things. They can be very pretty, and fun to feed brine shrimp to. They get bigger and spread similar to a zoanthid. The sponges are also a good thing, and you'll see different types of sponges in all tanks.

The aptasia you want GONE, either by adding an aptasia eating peppermint shrimp or a copperband butterfly fish,(as stated by Moderator Repto!). The clear one you have is just a more mature aptasia. They tend to get more clear as they grow larger. They aren't a good thing so be sure to kill it with the rest of them.

There is another type called Mojano that looks similar to aptasia, but is darker in color and has more tentacles. People often confuse majano & aptasia as they are both anemones and look similar. You DON'T want mojano if they happen to appear. You can pull at them, dig at them or smash them, but all you'll be doing is spreading the little nasties further into your system. Kill these if you ever get them with the pickling lime solution Dakar is posting, as there aren't any fish or shrimp that like mojano (correct me if I'm wrong). Use an empty syringe with no needle, plunge up the mixture, and squirt it on top and in the hole they may be dwelling in. If you don't have a syringe, I suggest buying a medicine dosage syringe for children's liquid medication from your drugstore or grocer. It's worth it as you may have to use it again at some point, so consider it an investment into your reefing equipment! I also save my empty syringes from puppy/pet vaccines. Don't leave any part of them showing. This solution will wear away from the rock you put it on in time, or you can break it away from the rock after 3 days without harming your corals or your water. Don't put the solution directly on a coral though!! Both types generally hitchhike their way into your tank from something you bought or acquired from a tank other than your own. The darn things look kinda cute at first until you know what they are capable of doing to your reef. Have fun nuking the little pests!
    ....Angel :angel5:
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

tigersax7 - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ive heard the pepermint shrimp are suppose to eat the aptasia but havent seen it happen yet. we have two of the littleSOB'sin my main tankand the pepermint shrimp havent eaten them yet...of course this could be because my girl friend spoil the shrimp by feeding them brine from a turkey baister(sp). As far as the pickling lime wherewould one get this? my LFS has no clue. And are there any other ways to get rid of the aptasia...two tine ones hitch hiked into my tank on a zoa frag and spend there time among the zoa's I dont want to use pickling lime on themand the lazzy shrimp wont venture out to get them? Any one got any sudjestions?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    only the finest in gehto reef technology ~

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Pickling lime can be had in a lot of grocery stores, somewhat seasonal for some, but mostly now as fall approaches. It'll be in the canning area. Only two brands I know of Balls and Mrs. Wages, either will do the trick. I've heard they can also be purchased online.

The LFS won't carry it, instead they'll likely carry Kalkwasser (or something similiar as a calcium suppliment, of course they'll want to sell you that, it's pretty much the same thing, just priced upwards of $12-$15 for a 6-8 ounces, versus $1.50 for a 1lb can of pickling lime. Not sure if it's as effective as the pickling lime or not as we personally haven't tried it.

On the zoa frag, they can be tricky, if the frag is too smal to split again to get at the aptasia easily, do your best at pulling as mush as you can of it off with forceps, tweezers, or a hemostat, get as much as you can, it'll very likely grow back but may gain you some time for the zoa's to grow out a bit.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

All of those things are just brand names for the same thing... pure lime(kalkwasser is German for lime+water). I get my lime in 50# bags from home depot in the concrete section. I've never had a problem.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

greenman - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# thanks for all the help people, i got the pickling lime but i think ill try the shrimp first. i did quite a large water change yesterday and murdered the big daddy. after that i felt bad and decided i would try and take care of it naturaly but, if that dosent work, ill have to start killing. i found a ton of the little things when i moved some rock around.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# heres my tang playing peek-a-boo. thanks again for the advice.#ed_op#IMG alt="image file name: 2k644c0f5be1.jpg" src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2k644c0f5be1.jpg" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Tangs can be so much fun, and so personable. They do love to play games with you. Great shot! Save it because you just never know when we'll have a photo contest! Priceless!
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

Default new pics

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#the first pic was about 2 mounths ago. this was what it had grown into until my peppermint shrimp (i think) took it out.still not sure what it was. looked like some sort of stoney coral.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG alt="image file name: 2k64c234d88a.jpg" src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2k64c234d88a.jpg" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG alt="image file name: 2k01ad441551.jpg" src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/upload/2k01ad441551.jpg" border=0#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#this is what the base looked like when it was closed.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

zoo-a-holic - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeppers, aptasia. The clear one is not that hard to come by! i HADa blue one, a clear one, a green one. I guess it all depends on what they eat?!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    120 Gallon Reef With Starfire Front, 2 overflows and 30 Gallon Sump. Mag 18 on the Return. Lit by Aqua Light Pro Deluxe. 2 250 Watt HQI Halides and 2 96 Watt PC Actinics all in one. ASM G-2 In-Sump Skimmer. 2.5 years in the making.

the base was hard like a rock. its still there. when these things close up, theres nothing left. its just hard. aiptasia at least has a blob?

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2