[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Are nems worth the trouble to you?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Are nems worth the trouble to you?

My RBTA (actually it's now two RBTA's) are driving me nuts. Everything was pretty hunky dory until my 14" diameter rbta split. Since then they are moving around their stack of rocks WAY too much. Thank god I have two stacks of rocks seperated by about 12" of open sand. Most of my sps are on the opposite stack from the rbta's and the nems have never wanted to cross the open space, if they do they are gone. SPS mean far more to me than nems. My primary issue is that 1/3 of my 180g is pretty much reserved for the nems. Keep in mind the nems are in great shape, don't require much if any food, and the perc clowns love 'em so do the greenhouse customers. In fact, nothing, gets a non-reefers attention more than a pair of clowns in a nem.

So my question is do feel that nems are worth the trouble, I am currently on the fence.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Your nems may be moving around in search of a food source. Try feeding them some silversides or mysis.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

when my gbtas split they always move. what i have to end up doing it taking the rock that they happen to be on and move that rock to the spot i want them to be and most of the time it stays put on that rock. i don't think they are in search of food because they can live solely on light. you can try feeding them though who knows the split may of stressed them enough to release zoox algae and now they are in search of food to help replenish it.

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

No, they are not worth the trouble to me. Never have been, never will be.

First Name
    Manoj
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Tank of the Month

I have experienced this before. When I had two nem's (RBTA, GBTA) they competed for the clown fish's attention, its funny actually.

The were constantly moving and competing. When the clownfish is in one nem then the nem moves taking the clown fish with it and then the other nem competes by coming close to the first nem.

Only way I could solve this was by getting rid of one of the nems.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Im with poseidon- absolutly not worth the trouble to me- at least not in a reef tank!

If I want a nem- I will set up a tank for one, or keep it in a FOWLR.

Myteemouse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month

I've had a few and I will NEVER have another one unless it's in a nem/clown only tank (whice is really cool when you get red and green nems and a few pairs of clown.
    President of Zoaholics anonymous.
    still on first step of twelve

tankdude - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dean

I have to agree they are a pain in the ***, especially when they sting everything around them. My current system has 5 huge mens, and I'm really limited on anything I put in the system. If I were you, I would remove the second nem before it finds a permanent spot.

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

I can't even tell which is the second nem, they are equal size and already 8-10" in diameter.
    They have been opening fully since about 1wk after the split. Since 1wk after the split they have pretty much had their feet set but they extend out of the rocks in variable spots. My original and the splits set their feet way down low and extend at least 10-12" of stem to get the face out into the light. At this point all rocks on that side of the tank will have to come out to remove either nem.

Interesting how the old timers here (sorry guys) all agree that nems just aren't worth the trouble in a reef tank. I would agree, but given that my tank is at my bussiness I will give the customers what they want to see, and that is nems w/nemo. Please pray for my sps!

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

i am ok with mine. it was touch and go getting it acclimated but since it has stayed on the same rock/cave even through a tank change.

in the same breath, i am setting up some different tanks to try breeding and it will likely go into a clown only tank. i understand your business point though. how many times have i heard there is nemo (or dory) while just hanging out at the lfs?

i suppose the really responsible thing to do though would be to set up a species tank in your store. 30 gal nano or similar? also the clowns in my lfs display are living in large toadstools and it looks cool too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last