[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New anemone

Bookmark and Share
    Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default New anemone

I bought a new anemone and I have a few ?'s. Why do some of them have the bubble / bulb tips and some don't? Mine has awsome bubble tips, but the other one in my tank (same kind) never had the bubble tips.

Bubbles anenome are known to lose and gain their bubbles from what I read they dont know why. Mine hasnt had his for a while, but seems really happy so I dont mind.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

I believe it is related to the amount of nutrients the anemones are receiving, either from light or food. I forget if the bubbles mean the anemone is fully or hungry. I am guessing bubbles mean hungry. Most of the roses I have seen under strong light are stringy.

It is hungry. I've had it for about a week and it eats a 1/2 of a silverside daily.
    They tried to remove it from the rock when I bought it and they tore it pretty bad. (I told them I'd buy the rock too, if they'd just quit pulling on it) I didn't know at the time that they tore it. I didn't know untill I got it home and it started to expand. I could see right thru the mouth and out the otherside. Not pretty when I can see the back of my tank thru the anemone. I called the LFS right away and they gave me an instore credit for it. (yup, they knew they tore it) It is healing up nicely and it's huge. For the first few days I had it off in the corner where there was less water flow so it wouldn't tear anymore. It seemed to have worked. I have moved it higher since then . It now gets varried water movement and it hasn't moved at all so it must like it there. I thought for sure I was either going to have 1 dead anemone or it would split and I would have 2 smaller ones. Neither happened so I'm happy. I will continue to feed it and keep a close eye on it to make sure it heals completly. All of my fish are in QT so there's nothing to bother it.

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

anemones are a fairly resiliant animal. they did the same thing to my curly Q anemone (in my lionfish tank due to strong stings). it had all kinds of gunk hanging out of it and a couple days later he was just fine and all healed up. now he just hanngs out on the rock and looks cool. BTW my bubble tip is stringy, i think because of the nutrients i add to the tank (my reef tank).

My bubble tips are disappearing I liked them. But if what everyone says is true, I guess it is better for it not to have them. Too bad, that's why I liked it.

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

well it can have them in between feedings ... when it gets hungery wait a day then feed it

I beleive that those anenomes only form the bubbles when they are content with their current nutrient content...they usualy only turn string like to make it easier for them to catch food in the wild. Anyway that's just what I've always been told.