[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New Bad Boy

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    seahorsedreams - Reefkeeper Registered User

Default New Bad Boy

This boy is brave and mean....... luckily he's just a tiny little thing...... for now.

babymantis2 - New Bad Boy

He's in one of those stupid pico glass tanks..... nice tanks to look at but it is sooo hard to get a decent picture of anything in it.

Renee

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

renee, what is he a peacock??? that is a good pic
    fulltankshot 1 - New Bad Boy

I have no idea what he is yet. He is a hitchhiker. I need to stop buying Mantis' but I can't resist them when they look like that!

Renee

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

I cant blame you there. I would love to have a mantis. I think I may need to set up a ten gallon in my den with one in it.
    fulltankshot 1 - New Bad Boy

I think you should too! My Peacock blows my mind with his beauty and personality. I like watching the G. chiragra becoming more and more "friendly" if you will. And the G. viridis is pure evil and has killed three fish. Now this new little guy walks into my life. Instead of getting the 40 gallon long custom tank for the Peacock and chiragra I should have gotten the 60.

Renee

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

I love them too.. and have been thinking of setting up a mantis system... they look so much like one of Jim Henson's Muppets to me. How can you not love a face like that!

D
    ><((((

Come on David... go ahead.... set one up :-)

Renee

You think I could do it with a simple, 2 1/2 gallon tank? How much "room" to they need? Could I do that with a shallow sand, LR and like a cascade type filter system..a tiny fish only?
    ><((((

I have the tiny one in a 3 gallon glass picotope. The 2.5" G. chiragra is in a 5 gallon cheapy tank which serves him fine at the moment. The 4" Peacock was in a 24 gallon (but is now in a 5 gallon bucket waiting for his old home to stabilize). I have a new home waiting for the 2 larger Mantis'. They will both go into a 40 gallon long.

They won't be able to stay in the 2.5 gallon permanently. But there is a long period of grow out for the small guys. They like deeper sandbeds and it is said they will start to "sulk" if their sand isn't deep enough and if they don't have enough rock to play with. When they sulk they become inactive and unhealthy.

Here the deal :-0 You get a small one, put him in a 2.5 gallon tank, if he doesn't absolutely amaze you by the time he grows out of it so that you'd want a bigger tank...... I'll buy him off of you.

I've always seen them in the stores, always thought they were super cool, but it's not until I actually got one did I realize how great they are. I think I would give up the seahorses for them if it came down to that (which it never would.... I hope not). He is soooo interactive. It's so interesting to see him at work. Except the schnauzer really doesn't like the popping noise. He actually runs away and hides under the bed. I've tried to acclimate him to the sound and I've tried petting him and soothing him in the presence of the "popping", but he trembled so bad I had to let him go hide.

Anyway, they are awesome David.

I keep the Peacock with a long spine urchin to take care of algae. The chiragra killed his urchin. But he lived with a damsel for forever until the move. I put both the fish and the shrimp in the moving bag and the shrimp killed the fish enroute. Oops. But until then they shared a cave.

What's a cascade type water filter system?

Renee

The cascade is just one of those smallish, hang on back, impellor and siphon tube driven filters that "cascades" back into the water

Thanks for the insight!

D
    ><((((

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last