[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New S. Gigantea

Bookmark and Share
    Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default New S. Gigantea

I saw this at the LFS today, of course I had to "rescue it", lol. Besides being bleached, it is pretty healthy. The mouth is tightly closed, the foot is strong, sticky, and it eats very well. I'm curious to see what color it may be. The underside has purple spots but the foot does not. (that's how I know it's a Gigantea) I fed it mysis shrimp and it gobbled them up. I will continue to feed it mysis 2x day till it is recovered. It was under 2- 40w NO lights.....no wonder it's bleached. I didn't want to send it into shock, so it's under a 96w 50/50 PC quad lamp. I have it in a 10g now with a maxijet 1200 with a dual output valve and a seaclone 100 skimmer. It hasn't moved since I put it in the tank. (I moved the rock it was attached to for pics)

It will be home to my percula clowns, but not for awhile. It needs a little TLC first.

Angie

I forgot to add that it's about 12" from the anemone to the lamp. I also forgot to tell the cost.... a whole whoppin' $25.00. I really wanted a Ritteri anemone, but they are even harder to keep. So S. Gigantea it is.

seahorsedreams - Reefkeeper Registered User

ohhh.... can't wait to see what it looks like when you get it all prettied up! Great find.

Renee

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

and you all say that I get ALL of the great deals !!?? i was thinking of a gigantea for the Allards clownfish i am getting today.

Default How long does it take to host?

About 30 seconds. I didn't figure they'd jump right in. I added them to the tank thinking they would need to get used to it. Apparently not, lol. The anemone is very yellow and very sticky. It didn't want to give back the turkey baster I feed it the mysis from. I hope it stays yellowish, or a light blue would be nice. Any color is ok as long as it's healthy.

Oh Happy percs!!

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

HAPPIER THAN PIGS IN MUD!!!!
    fulltankshot 1 - New S. Gigantea

Why do clowns get darker when they host in an anemone? I love the orange color on True percs, but they always get so dark once they host. Is it the slime coating? Just wondering.

Angie

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

without really knowing that would be my guess. that is what would make sense to me.
    fulltankshot 1 - New S. Gigantea

Every clown I've had has taken Months to host in the anemonies I bought for them, if ever. I had a HUGE neon green bubble for some occ's and they never did host in it. (sadly they were sold with my 125G reef tank) They hosted in the hammer of all things. I figured I would actually buy an anemone for the Percs that was a NATURAL host to them in the wild and see what happened. Guess there must be something to that "natural" host thing, lol.

The only thing I missed when I sold the 125g reef was my clowns. I won't make the mistake of selling the ones I have now.

Graphixx.....did you get your tank figured out yet? It's beautiful. I hope you get to set it up. Just don't sell it...that's a dream tank for sure. How often do you come across a deal like that? I sorry you lost most of the fish. They were beautiful too.