[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Orange BTA

Bookmark and Share
    EQCM2B - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Orange BTA

I recently got an anemone for my clowns to hopefully host in. It was a BTA that when fully open is about 5 inches across. After getting him I decided to try and read up on them some more, (yes I did read before I got it I just wanted more information), and found out that certain colors may clone easier than others and some are worth more than others. While this did not influence my decision to buy it since I already had it, I was enthused to find out what I had might be worth a lot more than what I paid. What I have is a 4-6 inch when fully open orange bubble tip anemone. according to what I was reading they are the more expensive kind and clone rather regularly if fed right.

Here is the question, will an anemone leave colored markings on the rock that he is attached too? When he moved from his rock that he was on when I purchased him there was an orange spot left in the spot. Is this normal or is this a sign that he may have been dyed or something? He seems to be healthy even after I chased him from the back of the rock work to a compromised spot in a cave on the front, lol. He extends, and has bright orange tips and is just really nice looking, well worth the 35.00 dollars spent for him and the fist sized piece of live rock that he was attached to.

ReefNeck - Reefkeeper Registered User

My guess would be dyed. I have never seen an Orange BTA. And the fact that the color leaked onto a rock points at dye.

Dye use is so unethical, it borders on fraud. As a hobby we should really come down hard on retailers who practice this. The best way is to spread the word and discontinue our patronage. I bought a fluorescent yellow plate coral only to have it turn a dull brown inside of 6 months. That's so annoying!!

EQCM2B - Reefkeeper CR Member

Thanks for the input everyone. If it is dyed how long would it take to clear out all of the dye?