[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Orange Linkia

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

Default Orange Linkia

I added an orange linkia about a week ago that I purchased from the guys at Trop it looked great. I acclimated it over about a three hour period and then added it to the tank. Seemed to be doing well for the first few days was moving around the tank slowly. Yesterday is seemed to look a little odd...kind of shriveled up. Today it looks even worse. It movies very slowly and an arm came off. Not sure how it came off. Is there anything that I can do for it?

Thanks

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by ShockSniper View Post
    I added an orange linkia about a week ago that I purchased from the guys at Trop it looked great. I acclimated it over about a three hour period and then added it to the tank. Seemed to be doing well for the first few days was moving around the tank slowly. Yesterday is seemed to look a little odd...kind of shriveled up. Today it looks even worse. It movies very slowly and an arm came off. Not sure how it came off. Is there anything that I can do for it?

Thanks
    welp big question is how old is the tank? I've also heard that star fish arn't suppose to be exposed to air, but i dunno how truthful this is.

big this is stars need an established aquarium to survive.

CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

it's an established tank. I bought the tank from some one that had it up for a few years. I transferred all the water and live rock/sand. The tank has been up and running for about 8 months now at my place. Plenty of pods and little critters. I have a mandarin that is fat dumb and happy. I read the same thing about not exposing it to the air. I was very carful to make sure it stayed in the water from Trop to my tank. It was never in the air. Should I take it out of the tank and put it in the sump?
    Last edited by ShockSniper; 02-02-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Linkia's are very sensitive to change (salinity, temp., ect.). Any drastic changes will start them on a downward spiral... that's almost always fatal. I've heard that very long drip acclimations, on the order of 10+ hours, are preferred. The timeframe you've laid out is fairly common for them to show signs of stress.

In addition, no one knows exactly what they eat. It's thought that many starve from the time they're removed from the ocean until they reach our tanks. In such a weakened condition they are even less able to handle the stress of acclimation.

Unfortunately, it is probably not going to recover and should be removed and disposed of.

Sorry for your loss,
    Tom

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

One thing about longer drip acclimation periods that always concerns me is being able to maintain the correct temperature.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    One thing about longer drip acclimation periods that always concerns me is being able to maintain the correct temperature.
    I hear that. Whenever I do them I float the bag in the sump while it drips. Of course this won't work if you don't have a sump...

CR Member

Tom - thanks for the idea about floating in the sump to keep the temperature up. What a great idea for a longer drip acclimation!

CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

so it sounds like maybe I just didn't acclimate it long enough?

ReefTech - Reefkeeper Moderator

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

its possible... i had a blue one that i acclimated for six hours and it did great for about three months and then one morning i looked at it and it looked just like you said in your first post and then it was all down hill from there and i watched my parameters like a hawk.... you win some you lose some i guess

CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

that sucks. I was really excited to get it in my tank. Not sure if I want to try it again if it's just going to die again.