[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

peppermint shrimp/fed up with them

Bookmark and Share
    davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default peppermint shrimp/fed up with them

Was checking out the tank the other day and noticed 3 polyps off of my lord frag had receded(will probably die).So,I started checking all the params(normal),did a waterchange,etc..After a couple days,it seemed the coral was still suffering.So last night,after feeding,I was checking in the tank and there they were ripping apart my little frag as well as a Platygyra colony,and a Lobophyllia.I'm gonna try trapping them tonight,anyone got any ideas?

peregrinus - Reefkeeper Registered User

shrimp kabobs?? lol j\k
    Quantum mechanics the dreams stuff is made of.

150 started 8/12/06
    57 gal started 8/12/08

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

We've never noticed any problem with our pepermint, but we do know his weakness... he loves brine shrimp...and will chase the baster to get his share.... should be easy to net up that way.

I've seen some pretty elaborate traps that have been designed to capture them, but seems like way over kill just to catch the shrimp.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

They're pretty clever... goooooood luck!!!
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Do they scatter and hide when you get near the tank or are they pretty bold and stay? You might try a bee trap model. Take a piece of tupperware/rubbermaid, cut a small hole in the lid. Place bait in inside with lid on and set in tank. Maybe one inside the other, with opposing holes. This would slow them down a bunch. They could get out but if you sneaked up on them you could plug the hole before they got out. Just an idea. Good luck.