[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

pods

Bookmark and Share
    systemfan15 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default pods

I've turned my lights out for a few hours then i shine in a blue light, I can't seem to see any pods...could ich have killed them off??
    Steve K.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Ich parasites actually need a fish to live on as their host... I've never heard of pods being a suitable host for the parasites.

I wouldn't worry too much about not seeing them for a night... they are peculiar little critters, I'm certain they are still there, some nights on the glass and other times hidden in rock or substrate. But as their numbers grow you will see more and more of them and other critters.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

TNT - Reefkeeper CR Member

I agree...in my tank I have to have the light completely off for at least an hour..including the one in the room with my tank and then I can turn on the light in the room and see the pods and such...with any light on the stay in the rock for some reason

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

I could not agree more, jsut cause you dont see them doesnt mean that they are not there. give it time. I am sure the numbers will come back
    fulltankshot 1 - pods

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

If you want to kick start your pod population,then start feeding your coral/inverts 2 to 3 times a week.Pods are algae grazers/amphipods(larger,bug like kind)will also eat detritus,fine particulates.There is a food called Golden Pearls,get the smallest size(I think its 50-100micron).Mix that with some frozen cyclop-eeze and feed your tank at night about an hr after lights out.
    In my newest BB reef,I stopped useing GP's,over the past 2 months i started again.My pod population has really took off since.
    BTW,another think you can do is add a LR ubble pile in a proctected/hidden part in your reef tank.This will give a place for them to reproduce/populate without predation from fish.

systemfan15 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Ok, thanks for the help guys. I got my refugium finally and I'm going to put like 3 pounds of LR rubble in. I may get some LR for my main tank too. I dont have any fish at the moment either just a starfish, emerald crab, coral banded shrimp, snails and some hermits....
    Steve K.