[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Really in a pinch. Darn BTA's. Help?

Bookmark and Share
    EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Default Really in a pinch. Darn BTA's. Help?

Alright, I'm not to sure of the truthfulness of this but first i just figured i had some small GBTA's and they were taking a while to grow. Someone than said to me no, there are such things as Mini BTA's they just stay small.

Has about oh, 20 or so in my old tank and when i upgrade and transferred tanks i tried to sell off as many as possible but some made the trip and and are still living in my tank. Well I have about 8-10 of them kinda hanging out in my tank and I dont want them anymore. Cause I have a nice RBTA that has found a nice place to sit.

Is there anyway to remove these small BTA's from the rocks? As much as I hate to ask is there anyway to kill them off, though im sure killing them might do something to my tank water.

I wonder this because one of the BTA's is getting close to and stinging a Acan that is encrusting on a rock and i can't remove the frag now.

CR Member

I doubt they'll sting the acan - they have a weak sting. You could chip them off the rock, but you'll have to remove the rock to do it. Are you sure they aren't mojano's?

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by weimers75 View Post
    I doubt they'll sting the acan - they have a weak sting. You could chip them off the rock, but you'll have to remove the rock to do it. Are you sure they aren't mojano's?
    I'm having the same argument on RC, yes im sure.

102210 - Really in a pinch. Darn BTA's. Help?

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Quote Originally Posted by chort55 View Post
    You can doubt all u want.... but the guy sees them stinging the coral, and its definitely a mini bta
    thanks dude yea polyp looked like it was getting stung just didnt look right and with a BTA that close it was my only choice of what was doing it.

I heard use a credit card as well. Thanks chris.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

yeah man i got the same ones i use a credit card to take them off, its easier if you remove the rock from the tank while you do it though. they come off pretty easy. post them up on the swap forum for sale if you get them off the rock, just put them in a rubbermaid with tons of holes in it so they cant escape, people always look for them for nano tanks and stuff, my clowns will actually host in mine and sleep in them.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jolson10450 View Post
    yeah man i got the same ones i use a credit card to take them off, its easier if you remove the rock from the tank while you do it though. they come off pretty easy. post them up on the swap forum for sale if you get them off the rock, just put them in a rubbermaid with tons of holes in it so they cant escape, people always look for them for nano tanks and stuff, my clowns will actually host in mine and sleep in them.
    Alright credit card it is, unfortuantly can't take the rock out so im gonna be trying to do it in the tank. Fun!

I have some acrylic left over that im just gonna superglue together to hold them, and drill a bunch of holes in it.

Thanks justin!

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

I wish my clowns would move from my elegance to my RBTA!

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by EMUreef View Post
    I wish my clowns would move from my elegance to my RBTA!
    egg crate a cage around it so they cant get to it and when they find the rbta then remove the egg crate. works pretty good.

yeah i tried in the tank its just hard to see ya know between reaching your hand over the hood and trying to look and see what you are doing its pretty difficult.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

in fact if you get a couple off ill do a trade for like 2 of them. i wanna put them in my 1g LED nano and see if they do good, and if so i might get a sexy shrimp to live in them. could just get them at the swap from you, let me know.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

If your methods dont work, with the credit card, give the ice cube a shot. Put the cube in a glove or sandwich bag, and put it on the foot.

If it doesnt work, after the ice cube method, promptly try the credit card again, with the nem having a cold foot, might be better odds that way.

Too bad ya cant take them out of the tank.....I have seen them let loose quick, dunked into some drained tank water that was considerably colder!

Leads me to beleive the credit card method might work better after an ice cube to the foot.