[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Red Reef Lobsters -- Breeding/Rearing Offspring?

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    CR Member

Similar, but not quite. They have the obvious front arms, just no claws at the ends. And they have 2 long antennae, not 4. Hmmmm. I guess time will tell if they get bigger or not.

CR Member

Looks like Irma is already full of new eggs!

430192 10150619218264234 508859233 9158365 1643963902 n - Red Reef Lobsters -- Breeding/Rearing Offspring?

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

That is cool. I have one in my sump. I have had him for 4 years now I guess. Do your eat fish? I am afraid to move him to my display because I fear he will. I can't believe they all live together. For sure moray food in the wild.

He is mean also. He has gotten my fingers a couple of times. Once I yanked my hand out and he flew across the room. Leaving his claw on my poor bleeding finger.

I don't think lobsters go through a planktonic stage. So those could very well be babies. They grow fast so you won't have to wait long to see. Keep this thread going and let us know.

barrycuda - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Barry

Those are cool! I would love to keep them but my no3 is to high in my FO, where are your nitrates? and how do you keep them low with the large eels pigging out?

CR Member

Actually my nitrates are not bad. They are in the 40ppm range but they do fine with it. Nitrites are 0, max of .5 if they recently ate. I run a Fluval FX5 on the tank with a lot of bio-material and nitrate-absorber, and do bigger water changes. I also change out the filter pads regularly so that waste isn't building up, and run an Aqua-C Remora Pro skimmer. It's just the 2 morays and the 2 lobsters in there, and the 2 lobsters do really well with cleaning up any little tidbits of food the eels leave around. That's why I got them. I also have a bunch of snails, hermit crabs, and a big population of micro-fauna living in the sand and live rock, so everything balances out.

I wouldn't trust the lobsters to not eat fish -- they are very pro-active when it comes to food and will grab at anything that gets close and smells good. The purple ones are fine with fish as they are much more shy and like to hide, but the larger red ones -- no way.

According to the article I read on Maine lobster breeding, they do have a planktonic stage, then a larval stage where they become benthic and sink to the bottom. That would explain why out of say, 500 eggs that she had on her belly, there were only 2 dozen of these guys that made it to the larval stage. I have never seen these critters before, and the tank is 3 years established with no new sand or rock or anything introduced. They just suddenly appeared, 2 weeks after Irma dropped her eggs and they disappeared. Once I caught them and moved them to the breeder net, I haven't seen any more anywhere in the tank. So that's why I don't think they're mysis. Time will tell, I still have them in the net and they're still growing and eating. She has new eggs now, so I'm going to move her to a 10g on her own with very slow filtration and fine sponge covering the intake. That way I can see if the eggs hatch and they really are these little creatures.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2