[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Rose Bubble Tip

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default Rose Bubble Tip

Ok, I'm not sure what is going on with my anenome. When I first got it at the fish store it looked like a very healthy animal. I put it in my tank and it appeared to be happy and looked just as good. Then after two weeks in the same spot it decided to move. Since then the color has faded the tenticles are short and it won't eat anything I give it. To my knowledge the water parameters are good, no Nitrates, Amonia, Ph 8.2, calcium at 425. The only thing that I can think of is that I only have PC lighting. What could the problem be? Any suggestions?

Chris

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

that would be part of the problem. they like pretty good lighting and very very good water conditions. when he was in his original spot did he eat??? you may try moving him into another part of the tank.
    fulltankshot 1 - Rose Bubble Tip

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

what are you trying to feed it??

When it was eating, I fed it krill and silversides. The last time it ate was two weeks ago and it basically ate the silverside and then regurgitated it. I do have a metal hallide fixture on order. I bought a Hamilton fixture with 2 250 watt halides and 2 110 watt actinic VHO's. I hope this does the trick. Check out the before and after pictures I took. Sorry the after is a little blurry.

I would try feeding something smaller like mysis or frozen meaty fish food multiple times instead of one big item. This will be easier for it to digest. It certainly looks different in the pictures. I would watch it very closely. If it starts to died, it can pollute your whole tank very quickly. Also when you get the new MH lights you will need to acclimate the anemone to the new light. I prefer the screen method. Let me know if you need details.

I feed my fish mysis on a daily basis amongst other things. Could it be getting all the food it needs from what the clown brings back to it? What is the screen method for light acclimation?

You basically need to ramp up the coral/anemones ability to handle the new light. If you don't it will "burn" and probably die. I think of it as a tan on sunny day.

The method I have used is place a layer of white drop ceiling, grid panel over the tank between the lights and water. Then lay 3 layers of window screen on top of that. This will shade the tank. Each week remove a layer. Make sense. Pretty common method for light acclimation.

And you didn't buy your lighting from me?!!?!? I probably could have saved you a buck or three.

Eric
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

hey Shad, i will give the screen method RAVE reviews !! i am on my last piece of screen and all is well. i just thought i would chime in cuz i DO have your old lights, and you suggested the screen method to me !! thanks again for the deal.

How hight should I hang the lights over my tank? In aclimating my corals, do I need to move any form the higher areas of my tank. For example, I have a flower pot coral towards the top as well as a bubble and some candycanes. What do you think?

Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last