[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

What kind of anemone is this?

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default What kind of anemone is this?

With our critter package from Tampa Bay Saltwater we got 2 anemonies. One is a Condi and the other is this......(See below).... What kind is this. My guess is either a carpet or flower. I can't get it to feed so I need to know what kind it is. The condi is a pig and eats anything that floats by.

If you have to copy the pic to your pc and enlarge it, I don't mind at all.
    Any guesses?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that stupidity has no limits!

Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

flower / rock anemone would be my guess.

CR Member

Thanks Whisperer, I knew I could count on you!

Anyone know the scientific name so I can look up it's care?

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

around here we call them "rock flower" anemonies. very easy care !! somewhat high light, mod flow, like frozen mysis. let me try to find it in one of my books for ya !!

not in the main book, but i found this ...

compliments of www.liveaquaria.com

The Rock Flower Anemone, also known as the Rock Anemone, is a member of the Phymanthidae family. Originating from the Caribbean, these anemones are found in a wide array of colors, with the oral disc often being a different color than the rest of the anemone. The oral disc lacks tentacles, and the tentacles are often beaded in appearance.

The Flower Anemone can live singly or in groups. They prefer to live on shaded, vertical rock walls, or within the substrate. They will bury most of their body in the sand, with only the oral disc and tentacles showing. These are fairly hardy anemones that will adapt to a wide variety of lighting conditions. These anemones tend not to wander about the aquarium and are a great addition to a reef aquarium.

The Flower Anemone is a carnivore, and requires meaty foods to survive. Offer mussels and freshly chopped fish meat, as well as high quality frozen foods. Adding iodine and trace elements to the aquarium will help the Flower Anemone thrive.

CR Member

Thanks! I hear that my fish are safe with this anemone. If that is indeed true I am going to keep this one. We also got a condy that is going to the LFS because I plan to get a gobie and pistol shrimp for this tank, too, and I don't want them to end up an anemone meal! Oooooh I'm excited to have a fish safe anemone! Woohoo!

Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

lol, I'm glad you got a nice one. If you do some searching around, you will be suprised at how beautiful some of the rock / flower anemonies are. Amazing colors and patterns. I would LOVE to do a tank with nothing but them in it.

I can't...I'm downsizing and setting up more tanks is not the way to do it
    I'm so proud of me, lol. I'm down to 5 tanks. That's a lot better then the 12 I used to have.

RWalston - Reefkeeper CR Member

here is a site to look at

http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

CR Member

Thanks for the info RWalston but the entire article didn't even mention rock or flower anemonies. I did enjoy reading it, though! It has moved into the mouth of the cave we made to accomodate the chili coral and it seems happy there. I've been offering it food but it rarely accepts the chopped scallop, talipia or even zoo plankton or chopped shrimp. I"ll keep trying though. It doesn't seem to be going hungry I just can't figure out what it is he's eating!