[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Sometimes this is an amazing hobby...

Bookmark and Share

Default Sometimes this is an amazing hobby...

I'll try to make a long story short here:

Several months ago I had a bad algae outbreak in one of my tanks. I pulled all the rock out of the tank and put it into some tubs to "cook"

I ran out of space so I used an extra 26G bowfront that I had lying around. After the rock cooked for about 6 weeks, I put it back into the tank.

I noticed in the meantime that my pistol shrimp was gone. I kinda dug the little guy and I was bummed out.

Fast forward to today. The 26G tank is still in the garage about half full of nasty funk. I decide to empty it out so I can store it again. I pull about 15 gallons out and I see the corpse of my little pistol shrimp through the murky water. "That's where the little bugger bought it" I say to myself.

I carefully empty some more water out because I wanted to see if it was a molt or the shrimp itself. Yup, it's the whole shrimp. Bummer. I put the cup in to scoop up it's little body and it proceeds to try to bury itself in the sand! What the heck!?!?!

I fished the little guy out and I'm drip acclimating him right now to go into my 10G tank.

The water in that bowfront was 12 kinds of nasty. You could hardly see through it because it was so scummy, there was no flow, no heat control and I tested it for fun and it was at 1.035 or so salinity. I figure it was in there for a couple months minimum.

The funny thing is that it lived through all of that trauma and now it'll probably not make it into the 10G tank. sad - Sometimes this is an amazing hobby...

Eric
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Cool story. You never know when Mother Nature is involved.

mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

wow, i hope he lives!!!!
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

What an amazing story and a great surprise for you! I hope he lives a nice long life in his new (cleaner) home!:sunny:

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby
    that is cool !! glad to hear it didn't bite the bullet.
    pistol shrimp>>>>bite the bullet:ROFLMAO:
    There once was a shrimp,
    That wanted to go for a trip
    Wedged into a rock,
    He ended up in a crock,
    Now he's just getting the drip!

Glad he made it! :rescuebug:
    Hi my name is sarah, and I've got the Upgrade Bug!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!!!!

mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

love the poem sarah!
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

Yer welcome!
    I'm known for my goofy posts... (see "the upgrade bug")
    evey now and again they just pop out! lol
    just thought it was a good way to celebrate the fact he lived!! lol
    Hi my name is sarah, and I've got the Upgrade Bug!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!!!!