[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Are there pods in my tank?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    iVgOnMaD - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Are there pods in my tank?

I have never seen pods in my tank and it has been set up for about 4-5 months is that normal?

I want pods!!!!

Why does everybody have them except me!!!?

greg97527 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

do you have a little pen light? when the lights are out try looking with a pen light or laser pen etc and look for little sand flea like creatures. chances are you have pods, especially if you have LR. also check ur refugium if you have one
    It's all about the reef. :YEAH:

I have about 50lbs of live rock in a 60g. I've tried a couple of approaches, but still haven't seen them. I have seen what I believe to be some type of pod thing but only in my FW aquarium. They are all over everything when I turn the lights on. None on my SW aquarium though...

I heard on another forum that they sometimes appear until after the first year, is that true?

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

It really depends on what kind of pods you are looking for... generally if you started with liverock, you have a pod population already growing. Remember, many 'pods' (lumping amphipods and copepods into a collective group here) cam be < 1mm in size, others gowing to 5+ mm.

Get a flashlight with a red lens and hang around your tank about an hour after lights out.... bet you'll see activity, especially around the area where rockwork meets your substrate.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

hummer - Reefkeeper CR Member

why a red lens? dave
    :: hummer :nemo

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

Because the "red spectrum" will not disrupt their behavior. Shine a full spec light or a blue light in there and they will scurry away quickly. They do not sense the red as you and I do.
    ><((((

oh this thread reminds me of the good ol' days. I remember the first time I hide behind the couch and jumped out with a flash light to look for live that I hadn't purchased. I jumped out and about midnight...then at 2 am...then again at 4 am...then my wife yelled at me because I kept getting in and out of bed. Don't worry those little mythical "pods" are in there...it's like snype hunting, only they really do exist.
    ...I think my fish just farted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Our little corner of the www.
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt4dinner View Post
    oh this thread reminds me of the good ol' days. I remember the first time I hide behind the couch and jumped out with a flash light to look for live that I hadn't purchased. I jumped out and about midnight...then at 2 am...then again at 4 am...then my wife yelled at me because I kept getting in and out of bed. Don't worry those little mythical "pods" are in there...it's like snype hunting, only they really do exist.
    You actually went back to bed? Geez, Angel and I must have missed several nights in a row watching the marvel of 'life' just appearing out of what seemed nowhere....

What a bunch of nuts we all are.. 2am and instead of sleeping we are up sitting in the dark looking at a box of water, rocks and sand with a flashlight.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Dakar, I wanted to double-check your jacket size before I sent you your Christmas gift.

straightjacket - Are there pods in my tank?
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

hehe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last