[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

too many hermits?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default too many hermits?

I went to my fav lfs today to get some snails and I was talking to the guy there and I was talking about adding 2 or 3 more crabs to the population of 4 I have now. I said I had to go out to my car and get some money and would think about it. I came back and he had bagged me up 10 for free lol. I love em'!!. but that brings me up to about or around 14 in my 10 gallon fowlr... 3 brown zebras 1 left handed black zebra and the rest are blue leggeds. Is this too many and what is going to happen if it is?? I threw some extra shells in there and what not...

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

IMO, you can NEVER have to many hermit crabs. only to many different species.

seahorsedreams - Reefkeeper Registered User

Bobby, this is a point where you and I disagree (it's what keeps the conversations interesting, eh?). That many hermits for that size of a tank is way to many. I usually recommend only 1 per 10 gallons. (I have personally removed mine from thereef and fed them to the mantis). They are going to starve in there.... well, they will after they eat all your snails. A hungry hermit is a dangerous one.

Aside from starving, make sure you put a lot of bigger empty shells in there of different shapes.

Renee

I have extra shells, in there but I need to get different shapes I know... but thank you both. Why do you think I could never have to many? Even 14 lol well they are rather large (to me) also, I think I will get rid of 6 or so... BTW why to many kinds as well? I was planning on getting a few blues zebras and reds.?(not scarlet) why not? Thanks alot you guys

seahorsedreams - Reefkeeper Registered User

Do you have snails in there?

Renee

some really small nassarius hitchikers and I just bought (well payed for) 3 and got 5 astreas...

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

I'm with Renee on this one as well... there is such a thing as too many. Think of it as an equation X amount of waste needs Y amount of animals to consume X. When it's out of balance, results are elevated nutrients/nitrates or on the other side not enough to feed your animals results in starvation, canibalism, or they find something else to eat (generally something expensive and you treasure).

Of course there are certain species that will not get along with others, or just by size alone makes them dinner.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

also btw they new astreas went right up to the srface of the water on the glass and are cruising around it lol any worrys here? btw this all hapened today

actually I beleive the hitchikers may be ceriths. if it matters. (very small)

so what is my max amount of crabs? I was just thinking under ten

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last