[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

this is what cheato looks like

Bookmark and Share
    graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

Default this is what cheato looks like

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://photobucket.com/albums/y132/graphixx22/tank%20pix/?action=view&current=cheato.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op# IMG class=thumbnailover onmouseover="this.className='thumbnailover';" onmouseout="this.className='thumbnail';" alt="" src="http://photobucket.com/albums/y132/graphixx22/tank%20pix/th_cheato.jpg"#ed_cl##ed_op#/A#ed_cl# this is what cheato looks like actually the full name is cheatomorpha this stuff works great in your sump and like I mentioned before it will not go a sexual on you like caulerpa. and that is a little gorilla crab that got banished to the sump#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do you figure this stuff is better than calupra in a sump?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

First Name
    Greg

in my opinion yes because you do not run the risk of it going a sexual on you and it grows faster than caulerpa. I have had very good luck with cheato. The only way to keep caulerpa from going a sexual is to light your sump 24 hours a day and that is not good for your pods!!!!
    fulltankshot 1 - this is what cheato looks like

Guido - Reefkeeper CR Member

LoL, you banished him to the sump? Poor little guy. At least he gets to enjoy the greenery there and doesn't have any competition.
    Failure is for those who accept it.

First Name
    Greg

that is what I do to all of my unwanted hitchhikers that come in on my live rock. right now I think I have like 4 gorilla crabs in there. I just dont have the heart to kill them and they seem happy in there :D

tigersax7 - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do that as well...only I do it to any thing that caueses a nusance...like a demsel that was harassing my clowns before I got my big tank set up...turbo smails that are more akin to bulldozers...ect. If your interested in other nutrent exports there is an interedting thread going on now about usinng Xenia for export. check it out and see what you think.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#tigersax7#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    only the finest in gehto reef technology ~

First Name
    Greg

I use xenia in my sump. The other thing I like about the xenia in the sump besides the nutrient export is that it grows qicker in the sump than the main tank. xenia like very nutrient rich or "dirty" water and your sump is a great place to grow the stuff.

Guido - Reefkeeper CR Member

What exactly is xenia? Does it need a special type of lighting? Also, do you use it with cheato? One more question. How much would it cost for me to setup my sump with xenia and cheato?
    Failure is for those who accept it.

First Name
    Greg

first off Xenia is a waving hand coral as far as the "pulsing" well no one really knows why it does that. it is a filter feeder it gets most of its nutrients from its zoxanthellae but does well with microphytoplankton supplements. It does well under moderate to bright lighting. and yes you can use it with cheato.
    As far as cost. you can get a small frag of xenia for next to nothing a lot of the times local reefer will give you a frag. I give it away all of the time for people just starting out. It grow very rapid. And cheato that is the same story as xenia. I hope this helped :D