[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Can Anemones Kill fish?

Bookmark and Share

Default Can Anemones Kill fish?

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"#ed_cl#Last night I saw my Algae Blenny wrapped in the tentacles of my Condylactus Anemone for a few seconds. He swam away but was then swimming erratically and falling on his side. I did not see him just before getting hit by the Anemone so I don

Yes anenomes can kill fish they are loaded with stingers

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

yep an anenome has a powerfull nematosys stinging cells, clowfish have a coating on their skin that makes them immune to this sting, other fish are who are stung by an anenome usually are goners, I had a green carpet anenome and when I touched him he would pack a PUNCH.

I hope your blenny is allright
    fulltankshot 1 - Can Anemones Kill fish?

carpenterwrasse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    George

to date i haven't been stung but there is anemone fish that can survive with anemones
    check this girl out she is a great singer

http://myspace.com/nicolejamesmusic

tigersax7 - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry to hear about your blenny....Reef safe means that the animal in questionwill not #ed_op#U#ed_cl#typicaly#ed_op#/U#ed_cl# harm corals...it dosent apply toward fish. Though anenomies typical will not harm corals they can and vise-versa Ive heard stories about baby buble tips being killed by full grown ricordea's. Sadly it is natures way, your anemonie was simply dooing what they do ...kill and eat fish.To answer a previous question there are some fish that are imune to anenomie stings, clown fish and demsels(aka aninomie fish) bothare related species areimune im not sure if there are any others. There are some varitys of aninomies that pack less of a punch then others for example abuble tip is less lethal thenacarpet and so on. hope this helps#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#tigersax7#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    only the finest in gehto reef technology ~

CR Member

nematocysts have two triggers, one is mechanical with is like a hair and when tripped it will send the barbed hook into the flesh of its prey releasing its toxin. The other type is chemical, which is why clown fish and so on are not being stung. There are thousands upon thousands of nematocysts on a tentacle which is why they can hold on to their prey. Think of it like velcro in a way for the holding part. Many organisms have them , not just anemones. Hydra have them, which are tiny and jelly fish and so on.

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Condylactus Anemones are really bad to have in a salt tank with fish, they kill and eat any fish that touches them and clown fish are #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#U#ed_cl#not#ed_op#/U#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# immune. I learned the hard way by losing 3 clown fish to 1 Condy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#