[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

What are these AND are they bad?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default What are these AND are they bad?

These things are growing pretty quickly in my 20 gallon reef tank (10 years old and very stable). What are they? If they're not good I'll need advice on how to get rid of them.

Thanks.

Aiptasia...BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD!!!

There are products, Joe's Juice is very common. Or you can try boiling water, lemon juice, or kalkwasser paste out of a syringe. Get them now, or they will take over!

Natural options are hit and miss. Peppermint Shrimp are one...if you get the right kind.
    ...I think my fish just farted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Our little corner of the www.
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

peppermint shrimp are nice, if you can get the right kind they will eat it for you but if you get the wrong kind they are very interesting looking and active tankmates but do et rid of the aiptasia, if you try to get it out yourself make sure you get everything down to the roots out or they will come back
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

greg97527 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

don't squueze or smash them their oils will spread throughout the tank and you will have a huge mess. use kalk and make a pultice and squirt about 1cc directly on it,turn off ur skimmer. don't freak out and think it's over because we all wind up with appy's now and then. if you want you can buy aptaisia control by blue life for about 10-15 bucks if you don't have kalk.
    It's all about the reef. :YEAH:

Ive used the Lemon Juice method seems to work about 80% of the time. My girlfriend just added to peppermint shrimps to her tank and she got lucky and ate all of hers. So as they say its hit/miss but nothing to panic over just take some time aside to get them under control.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

carpenterwrasse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    George

there is also a nudabranch that eats them i 'll have to look up there name...

First Name
    Greg

Its called a Berghia nudibranch fyi

i have always had a great deal of luck with a Copperband Butterfly. they are hit and miss also, but more hit than miss.IMHO.

carpenterwrasse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    George

yeah thats the name.. the problem with them is once the aptaisa are gone they starve to death.

First Name
    Greg

yep like most nudi's they eat one thing only

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last