[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Help please!

Bookmark and Share
    slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Default Help please!

Someone has to know
    what is going on with my reef. A few months ago I took in 3 Tahitian clams ( those huge ones with the thick shells, pretty rare) for a friend. They were sick in his tank. At the time I had a Squammy, a Derasa and two Maximas in my tank. Within days the friends started dying. One by one. It looked like pinched mantle but it wasn't. A week later mine started dying. I freshwater dipped them as the books prescribe but no help.

I waited a month and added some new Maximas. They were large, over 5 inches and one smaller Derasa. Everything was fine until one day I came home from work and one of the Maximas was dead. The insides were intact. 2 months later and the other maxima dies. Open and fine in the morning, dead when I got home from work. The insides were eaten out and my 3 foot Snowflake eel was hanging out by it. Now I have seen him eat dead clams before but never an alive one. Hmmm maybe a rouge eel?

Two days later and my Derasa was dead. Same deal, open and fine in the morning, dead at 5:00. No eel in site and the clam was right where he always sets so he was not attacked by the eel.

My water conditions are perfect, my SPS, LPS grow like weeds and look great. I keep Azoox corals so the tank gets fed a mixture of phyto and various Fauna Marin products every hour. Fish and everything in the tank look great including some very sensitive gorgonias and black corals..

I spent some time looking at the Derasa and on one side of the shell there are little thin red lines that look like blood vessels in the shell. It is on the inside of the shell. One of them was 1/4 out of the shell and moving around. Are these some kind of parasitic worm? Can I ever keep clams again? Help, as I love them.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Aww slapshot I'm so sorry darlin ((hugs)) I'm going to do some research for you. See if we can't come up with a cause and a cure! Just don't get anymore until we know what's what. Hang in there hon.

Ok I found some info. Hope it helps your gonna have to copy the link sorry.

http://animal-world.com/Aquarium-Coral-Reefs/Tridacnid-Clams-Ailments
    Last edited by MizTanks; 09-16-2011 at 10:33 PM.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Wish I could help, but I know very little about clams.

Hope you get this one figured out.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Wow im a clam collector my self. I will be watching this thread closely. Sorry your loss.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

any small pin holes our other signs of boring worms
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2