[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Where was Snorkel Bob !???

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Default Where was Snorkel Bob !???

A friend of mine sent these pictures from Costa Rica,with sea turtles on the brink of extinction it is amazing that the good Sea Shepard crew isn't doing anything about it. This is truly disgusting but yet someone's eating these eggs to make it a marketable food source. I don't really blame the people digging up and selling the eggs,after all they're just trying to survive. The Asian food market is more to blame due to the fact they will pay whatever they ask for them with no concern that they are destroying a species that has been around for millions of years!

1e28e300776fb40f1d0171269f8567cf zps384fc1ed - Where was Snorkel Bob !???

10cb0877d9387224cf857b479791da68 zps0bb91e38 - Where was Snorkel Bob !???

9e1b04b5efe12aa306e8066331ef1d7e zpsef20a4d0 - Where was Snorkel Bob !???

bef33c4e79785719b759a5e1f060929e zpsbcbbb533 - Where was Snorkel Bob !???

341c9e5fd7d324e616bd891ace7590f0 zps192d39e7 - Where was Snorkel Bob !???

6703149520de18f6377f8334a5cc2d56 zpsa685da3f - Where was Snorkel Bob !???

875afd23ad99aad57227490407519ea2 zps51ac42f2 - Where was Snorkel Bob !???

Hard to believe that in this century this still goes on so they can make turtle egg soup in Japan and China. I will never feel guilty about havering an aquarium when stuff like this is still tolerated and ignored because it doesn't serve someone's agenda.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Most definitely a country without welfare. Survival by any means, no matter the cost
    Totally disgusting!!!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

fishtal - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tal
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Chuck,

When were these pics taken? I'm not sure if this particular species of sea turtle is endangered but it seems like another case of humans taking everything they can get without thought of the future. Sad.

EDIT - Full details about what's going on: http://seaturtles.org/article.php?id=1830
    Last edited by fishtal; 06-07-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: New info
    Save a fish, Breed your own!
    www.fishtalpropagations.com

Thales - Reefkeeper CR Member

While the pictures are real, they are part of a highly regulated take.

http://seaturtles.org/article.php?id=1830]
    The olive ridley turtles at this site (and at about 10 other beaches around the world) nests in a near simultaneous arrival over several days, which is called an arribada. Ostional residents are permitted to collect and market the earliest nests, because later nesting sea turtle mothers accidentally destroy many of the earlier nests. Harvesting may actually increase overall hatching survival because there are less broken rotting eggs that create a soup of bacteria that can damage the eggs that are laid by turtles arriving late in the arribada. No harvesting of these late eggs is allowed. They are protected as they incubate and the hatchlings emerge to return to the sea.

While biologists have not demonstrably proven that the egg harvesting improves hatchling success, we do know that the Ostional nesting turtle population is stable or growing at this site. The justification for this program was also based on an economic analysis that suggested flooding the market w/these legally harvested eggs (sold at a low price controlled by the government) would decrease overall poaching throughout the country by bringing down the value of turtle eggs in the black market.

thepanfish - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thales View Post
    While the pictures are real, they are part of a highly regulated take.

http://seaturtles.org/article.php?id=1830]
    Thanks for joining in the discussion Ret.

Thales - Reefkeeper CR Member

Thanks for the compliment! I'm not Ret though, I'm Rich Ross.
    Last edited by Thales; 06-08-2013 at 10:22 AM.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Thanks for the link Rich. Always best to have a second view of things. At least we got some people debating for sure. I sent the link to my friend who was their during the harvest. He does say that he was told that it was a sanctioned harvest.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Really you think welfare would fix this? Go look at the welfare lines in Flint (and probably many other large cities), they are filled with drug dealers and the parking lot is filled with Caddys, benz's BMWs etc... Welfare is a joke and so over abused it is ridiculous all it would do is make the lazy people in that country even lazier. **** I have no problem with them selling drugs, the harder the better, its called population control. But I have a problem with them making serious bank and then turning around and collecting hundreds in welfare along with free insurance that is way better then most (if not all) hard working americans can get!

Call me a dick all you want, but I kinda commend these douche bags for atleast hustlin and trying to provide for their family and not sitting around being a drain on society.

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Glad to see this may not be as bad as it seems and actually beneficial in several ways
    I'm not speaking about government welfare Chris. Sadly the definition has lost its true meaning to some.
    Noun
    the state of doing well especially in respect to good fortune, happiness, well-being, or prosperity
    The health, happiness, and fortunes of a person or group.

thepanfish - Reefkeeper CR Member

Oh sorry Rich

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    By that definition there really are no countries with welfare of the nation
    Now your thinking outside the proverbial box

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last