[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

my anemone is dying

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default my anemone is dying

He started wandering yesterday. Around lunchtime today his stomach was prodruding and he was just rolling around with the current. I placed him in a mesh container for injured fish to keep the shrimp from getting at him. I was hoping he'd perk up, but now he has turned himself totally inside out. I switched off the powerhead and filter a moment ago, and I see some very miniscule movement in his (completely deflated) tentacles. I don't want to take him out while he's still alive, but I don't want any toxins to harm my tank. When should I remove him?

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Sweatpea's Quote: I was hoping he'd perk up, but now he has turned himself totally inside out....end Quote.

Now that's a new one to me! He turned himself inside out?? So what exactly does he look like? Are his tentacles on the inside of him now? So basically, I'm picturing a ball with a mouth that you can see his tentacles through. Right? This is a weird one. Would you please take a picture of this so we can see what this actually looks like? I did a search in Google on "anemone turning inside out", and believe it or not there are many topics about it. I have to get my daughter from the bus stop, but will be home to do more research on this. This has got my curiosity peeked. Please try to post a picture soon! Thanks! ......Angel
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Here try this link. Lots of good info. Hopefully it will help with your problem.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ltafaqs.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Reef_Angel
    Sweatpea's Quote: I was hoping he'd perk up, but now he has turned himself totally inside out....
    end Quote.
    This has got my curiosity peeked. Please try to post a picture soon! Thanks! ......Angel
    Think of it like taking a sock off inside out and leaving the top cuff of the sock even with the toe... that's about what he's done.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#The side view: his tentacles on the right are completely covering his foot.

2k88264fdcb0 - my anemone is dying

The front view: the patch of salmon color I believe is a bit of his foot showing through a thinner spotin the stomach.

2k44be9067ee - my anemone is dying

Technically, the nem's not dead - yet. Every so often he moves a tentacle a little... I imagine he'll be officially gone by morning.

I am quite sad and extremely surprised by how fast this happened. Nothing has changed... water quality is right on, same lighting, same food... I just don't know. It's a risk I knew about when I got him. It's fairly well written about that nems can be difficult and some die for no apparent reason.
    I feel really bad for Marlin... he is SO confused. He followed the nem closely during his migration, and duringit's demise, hekept gently rubbing his side on the nem's foot, as if he were comforting it. He's been watchingthe nemthrough the mesh, then going back and forth from where the nem was yesterday to where he was today when I decided to separate him from the shrimp. My poor baby boy...

Quote Originally Posted by Whoyah
    Here try this link. Lots of good info.
    Thanks for the link - it's a good one. I remember reading it before I got the nem, and it is very informative. I do a lot of my research on Wet Web Media... great site.

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

If you feel that nem is really a goner then I would remove him from the tank ASAP. He will turn into toxic mess soon, probably killing off your other fish and inverts.

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Sweetpea, first I would suggest that you take him out of that net. I know you are trying to protect him, but he needs his sand. Is his foot red like that or did the camera pick up a hue somewhere? From what I see in the picture, he may have an injured foot trying to find his permanent home. Have you ever removed him by hand, helping him to let the bottom of the tank go? That can injure their foot also. He needs his foot back in the sand. Maybe you can put him in one of the sandy corners of your tank, placing his foot back down. I think his hosting friend was actually trying to sooth the foot. Put him back in the sand and see if he comes around. He may surprise you in the morning. I've seen anemones die when their host leaves for a different coral in the tank. Now that I saw the behavior you were describing as "turning inside out", it reminded me of the first anemone I ever had... it was a Condi Anemone and it did the same thing a few times. The last time he did it, he died, but I had him for quite a long period of time. Your little fish will stay with your LTA through this ordeal, and it will likely protect it from predators as well. I guess the best advice I can give you at this point is to put him back the way he was when he finally settled in, and let his host comfort him. You could put a border of rocks around him (not touching him or using one to hold him down.) The rocks around him are more for you than him, but it can help keep predators at bay for now. You just want to put that protection around him so he doesn't just float away. Let Marlin watch over him. At least if he dies, he will have been comforted and protected by his hosting partner, and in it's proper sandy environment. He will not pollute your tank in the condition he's in, unless he dies and the rotting process kicks in. Your cleanup crew will be right there taking care of the waste. If he happens to die early on in the night, you may find nothing left of him at all in the tank in the morning.. Let nature come in now and take it's course now. I feel terrible for you. You have done your best by him, and this is in no way your fault. It's nature, and we learn from their lives, illnesses and deaths.
    Don't give up on getting another anemone. My sebae started out 3-4" around, and yes it had been bleached pure white so the purple tips showed very elegantly. I learned shortly after I got him about bleaching. I just figured he's die. He wouldn't put a foot down for quite a while or even accept food, but when he finally found where he was happy, he started to eat. I thought maybe he wanted a rock, but he'd always move off it and into the corner of the tank with a rock nearby. He likes to attach to the tank bottom but underneath a rock. Maybe it's their way of protecting their foot from damage. Today he is the size of a dinner plate and eats a full baster of brine or mysis shrimp without letting even a little out. I'll check in on you and the anemones progress tomorrow! Thank you for posting the photo. I hope for nothing but the best outcome for you. Take care! .....Angel
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

Is his foot red like that or did the camera pick up a hue somewhere? From what I see in the picture, he may have an injured foot trying to find his permanent home.
    I know what I described the nem doing must sound bizzare. The white stuff in the picture is not his foot. His foot was (he's gone now) completely a salmon/orange-ish color. In the secondpic, the little patch of color you see in the middle of the white mass is (I'm 99% certain) his foot showing through his stomach. More of it became visible later as he finshed turning himself inside out.
    Have you ever removed him by hand, helping him to let the bottom of the tank go?
    No, never. There was no injury, unless he injured it when he started roaming Thursday. His foot was wedged down into the sand underneath a fairly rough piece of rock ... it is possible he cut himself when he pulled out from under it, though I didn't see anything wrong when he was rolling around before his foot disappeared inside him.

I guess the best advice I can give you at this point is to put him back the way he was when he finally settled in, and let his host comfort him.At least if he dies, he will have been comforted and protected by his hosting partner, and in it's proper sandy environment.
    I didn't see this post before I went to bed. I regret that the nem diedseparated from Marlin...

Don't give up on getting another anemone.
    I think it'll be a while before I try it again.

You have done your best by him, and this is in no way your fault. It's nature, and we learn from their lives, illnesses and deaths. I hope for nothing but the best outcome for you. Take care! Angel :angel7
    Thank you for your kind words... they are comforting.

shovelhead91701 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Shawn

sweetpea.....I had an LTA pull the same stunt on me with no signs of what could have happened. I waited until pieces started to break off of the little guy to remove him...hoping he would magically get better but alas he didn't make it. I have a 55 gal. tank though so the toxins had more water to dilute into. With your tank I don't know if I would wait that long.
    The days are long and the work is difficult but every night I sleep as a man who has achieved his goals.

Yeah, ten gallons isn't much... I was afraid of leaving the nem in too long after he died. I sure didn't want to lose everything in my tank hoping for a miracle. After I went to bed my hubby saw that the nem had ceased all movement and removed it before anything bad happened.

I'm sorry you lost your LTA, too...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last