[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Who is still into in home coral propagation these days?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Who is still into in home coral propagation these days?

Pay it forward is the closest to a coral propagation forum I can find so-

I am wondering......

Here in MI, and even the surrounding states, who is still propagating their own corals? Trimming their overgrowth and sticking it in a frag tank for future sale? Even those collectors who collect the good stuff and when things overgrow have to prune your colonies?

I do not mean those of us who buy a large peice and chop it up for a quick profit, or those of us who who order strait from commercial vendors to sell quickly.

I have met a few of you guys at frag swap and am wondering how many others are out there, lurking in the interwebs. I see the selling forums are full of hobbiests who have stuff for sale all the time.....I would like to hear from you guys in this thread.

My gears are turning and have some plans in motion- I just need about 25 participants. Hope to get some feedback and a possible list.

that Reef Guy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Steve
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post

I am wondering......

Here in MI, and even the surrounding states, who is still propagating their own corals? Trimming their overgrowth and sticking it in a frag tank for future sale? Even those collectors who collect the good stuff and when things overgrow have to prune your colonies?

I do not mean those of us who buy a large peice and chop it up for a quick profit, or those of us who who order strait from commercial vendors to sell quickly.

I have met a few of you guys at frag swap and am wondering how many others are out there, lurking in the interwebs. I see the selling forums are full of hobbiests who have stuff for sale all the time.....I would like to hear from you guys in this thread.

My gears are turning and have some plans in motion- I just need about 25 participants. Hope to get some feedback and a possible list.
    I Grow Out and Propagate at Home.
    Likes Sir Patrick liked this post

First Name
    Chris

Thats awesome Steve. There are less of us than you may think.......

Hope there are enough of us....between the couple sites I posted this on- there is only 3 of us- but hasnt been posted long........
    Likes that Reef Guy liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sure nothing like it was when I first started. Sure miss those sellers
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

i will but my tank is still too young to do so. that is all i used to do. i rarely bought a new piece back in the day. i would just let my stuff grow and sell it (usually quick because my tank back then was only a 30g lol) so i was in constant propagation to make room and keep the tank looking neat. i plan to do so again now that my tank is basically full i just need to let them grow out a bunch before.
    Likes Sir Patrick, that Reef Guy liked this post

First Name
    Chris

Glad to hear many are still doing this.

I am currently playing with the idea of a propagators swap- All home grown coral. Only growth from wild collected coral.

These days, us hobbiests have just as nice stuff as any high end vendor, hope to hear from more. Please spread the word if you guys know of others still practicing these techniques.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

Glad to hear many are still doing this.

I am currently playing with the idea of a propagators swap- All home grown coral. Only growth from wild collected coral.

These days, us hobbiests have just as nice stuff as any high end vendor, hope to hear from more. Please spread the word if you guys know of others still practicing these techniques.
    that sounds like fun! they are a lot hardier being in a tank already and maybe we could get a few captive bred fish in on it as well.

I always wanted to do a reef poker game. Everyone donates a mini colony with equal value of about $40-50 then you have the top 3 places, first place would get 50% of the coral (so if 10 people, he/she would get to pick the first 5 he wanted) then 2nd place get 30% (or 3 pcs if 10 people) and 3rd place gets 20% (or 2 pcs with 10 people)

Just think it would be fun and we could have some beers and talk and play some games but still throw some reefing into the mix.
    Likes that Reef Guy, Sir Patrick liked this post

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I am wondering......

I sell growth frags. I only run a display tank so I usually cut, heal, and bring to Preuss for credit. Put me on the list and I'll see what I can do!

Cool idea by the way.

Tom

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I bought my very first coral from a home seller back in 09. Paid $5 for a plug covered in XMas Favia. $7.00 shipped from NY.
    7yrs later I've given away 5 completely encrusted frags
    ef361e65e3589aa21958af64a2bb67c1 - Who is still into in home coral propagation these days?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com
    Likes Sir Patrick, that Reef Guy liked this post

My wife has gotten very excited about doing it. We picked up a kit at the frag swap to start and are working on setting up a frag tank for her. Most of our corals are still pretty small but we have a couple in our 14g that she is going to start with.
    Likes Sir Patrick, MizTanks, that Reef Guy liked this post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last