[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Who is still into in home coral propagation these days?

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    Ocho Cinco - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

I'm going to be starting to. I will be fragging stuff from my display and buying frags just to grow out and collect. Just set up a frag tank today.
    DO WORK!
    Likes that Reef Guy liked this post

mole - Reefkeeper CR Member

Pretty much every piece you see me with at either a frag swap or selling/ trading on facebook is something that was grown in my own systems. A few pieces I have had for years and some are recent pickups that just seem to grow very fast. I've been doing this for about two years now.
    Likes that Reef Guy, Sir Patrick liked this post

CR Member

The corals I have grow like weeds. I am constantly trimming them. I let them heal and grow out in my sump until I can re-home them. Over the years, I have traded a few to my lfs for store credit, and have given quite a few away to friends. I love your idea of a propagators swap. Sign me up as interested!

Hopkins - Reefkeeper
    Administrator

First Name
    Adam
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014.

I have been watching these Facebook groups for a while. Seems like a ton of new people are popping up and selling coral. Not a ton of home propagators, but mostly turn and burn style. They import some coral from a wholesaler, jack the price up and sell to unsuspecting people.
    rc Hopkins sig - Who is still into in home coral propagation these days?

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Hopkins View Post
    Seems like a ton of new people are popping up and selling coral. Not a ton of home propagators, but mostly turn and burn style. They import some coral from a wholesaler, jack the price up and sell to unsuspecting people.
    I hear you- more and more are doing just that these days. Sad but true....

I am looking for true propagators- home grown corals. Mother colonies that do/have /will provide generations of home grown corals to share/sell within the local community. In part possibly impacting the wild collection from the oceans and reefs.
    Likes saltygirlz, that Reef Guy liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Hopkins View Post
    I have been watching these Facebook groups for a while. Seems like a ton of new people are popping up and selling coral. Not a ton of home propagators, but mostly turn and burn style. They import some coral from a wholesaler, jack the price up and sell to unsuspecting people.
    Have a local guy U.P. here doing exactly this. Brought a bunch to our swap. Prices weren't to bad though. Much cheaper then what I would have paid online.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

lngliv3 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tim

Any more updates on this topic I'm looking to get into this to just grow the hobby and offset the price on corals.

CR Member

My reef is still pretty young, however I do have several that I need to frag. I've started with high end stuff with the long term goal of being able to have some really nice frags available at reasonable prices or trade. I've moved several to a friend's reef tank's since her husband with alzhimers really enjoys watching them. I definitely realize that for most people even $50 frags are out of reach and I hope to be able to have some really nice stuff available in the not to distant future.
    My current systems are a 65 with a 25 fuge/frag system and a 90 with currently a 30 frag tank/fuge (hoping to upgrade sizes soon). I'm currently keeping mostly lps, a few sps and an assortment of rock and bubble anemones. I run a mixture of radion xr30w gen 4, radion xr15w pro, leds I built and a couple pc's.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2