[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Got Polyps?

Bookmark and Share
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Default Got Polyps?

Having some more fun with the phone camera...my tank has been looking pretty "fuzzy" lately with every square inch packed with a happy coral! I'll be fragging out a bunch of these corals for the Frag & Swag wheel at #MCES .

full tank shot 01 2014 zps38e27eb0 - Got Polyps?

beaker bobs implosion zpsa3af54bf - Got Polyps?

green nepthia top down zps7267d64e - Got Polyps?

snowflake clownfish zpsedefbd9a - Got Polyps?

blue green shroom top down zps1f92dc5a - Got Polyps?

ribbon gorgonian zps10742eb4 - Got Polyps?
    Likes Captain liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Dang Jim!! Tank looks wonderful!!

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Thanks Jamie!

Hopkins - Reefkeeper
    Administrator

First Name
    Adam
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014.

I wish my tank looked like that. I just am not getting the growth that I want. Maybe it is the LEDs. Back when I had MH and T5 things grew so fast for me, now.... not so much.
    rc Hopkins sig - Got Polyps?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

@Hopkins What corals are you keeping? Same type of stuff?

I wished I could say I was doing anything special. I have no skimmer, I stopped using carbon/gfo (out of laziness), I have only done 3 water changes since last January (usually to get water for the Frag & Swag wheel tank), my fish get fed when I remember. My tank sits in a storage closet in the basement so there are times, especially in summer, when I forget to check on it for several days. I have become a bad (lazy) reefkeeper ...Fortunately, most of my corals are "weeds" and are forgiving (maybe even thrive on lack of attention). I do have a couple hardy LPS (bubble, orange torch, lithophyllon-type coral..which was a hitchhiker) which seem to do okay. I'm sure most SPS would melt in a day in my tank.

I'm happy with LEDs. Not sure if the growth is any better or worse...but I like the control I have with them to dial in the look that I like. The best thing about LEDs for reef tanks, especially nano tanks (my tank is a 29 biocube), is that it doesn't add a lot of heat to the tank. The temperature stays very constant...the graph below shows the temps for the past month:

The flat area around Christmas is where I lost internet from the ice storm, and the blip after it is from running out of top off water and then the top off added too much cool water all at once (another bad reefing habit I have).
    jimsflies tank temps zpsae4b36c7 - Got Polyps?

Another great thing I like about the LEDs (and a small tank) is the power usage...I'm averaging a little over 1 amp (less in the summer). It costs less than $13 per month to run.

power usage zpsd4f5cc19 - Got Polyps?

Hopkins - Reefkeeper
    Administrator

First Name
    Adam
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014.

I have a little of this and a little of that in the tank. Mostly LPS and soft coral. I think one of my issues is high phosphates based on the fact that my sand bed has become a hair algae bed. I just started running phosguard and I might even do a water change. Between work and finishing up school; I just have not had much time to deal with the tank. After reading some threads on here I decided to turn the whites way down and run the tank very blue. I think this is helping because the zoos are starting to increase in size.

One day at a time... Good thing this isn't a race.
    rc Hopkins sig - Got Polyps?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I have ran my tank for several weeks on blue alone and the corals were fine.

Another thing I forgot to mention that I think is a huge help is I have a couple mangroves that are sitting in the first compartment of the back sump area. They are a little neglected and would benefit from more light and an occasional dusting of the leaves, but I think they suck up the phosphates pretty well...my tank seemed to do much better after I added them.
    Last edited by jimsflies; 01-08-2014 at 11:01 PM.

Rpalt1 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    rich

Sweet looking tank Jim

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

@Rpalt1 thanks!

I noticed last night that my female clownfish is hosting in my giant green shroom...this mushroom is my favorite coral. Its almost 8-inches across!

snowflake hosting zps5fe9e6f7 - Got Polyps?

This female clown was one that beakerbob had nurtured back to health for me last year. She had ich and he took her in to treat her in his qt tank. I ended up giving him the clownfish because he didn't have any snowflakes or fancy clownfish yet (and after all he saved her life). However, when Bob passed away this fall, I moved her back to my tank. I think she is settling back in nicely...although I would much rather her be living happily under Bob's care.
    Likes Hopkins, MizTanks liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I have been thinking of Bob and his family these past couple days. Very glad you mentioned him....

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com