[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

My youtube debut

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    Aaron

Default My youtube debut

This is my first real attempt at video editing. I made a spoof of the freecreditreport.com commercials and I'm trying to receive some feedback as to how I might have made this video better. It's pretty short, but I think it came together well. Some information:

Camera: Kodak Zi8 (an external mic. was used to capture the audio)
    Video editor: Adobe premiere
    Computer specs:
    - AMD Athlon X2 3000 (dual core 3.0ghz)
    - 4gb RAM
    - SLI Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS
    - 1tb Seagate barracude HDD SATA 7200rpm
    - Asus 23" monitor

So specifically I'm wondering if there are any weaknesses in my computer specs. I want to start doing more video editing and I felt like this one bogged down my PC even in the resolution I rendered it in. The source file was 720p 30fps.

Next, I'm wondering if there are any good websites to learn more about videography. I tried to separate my "scenes" but I'm not sure how successful I was.

Finally, does anyone know of a forum which is specifically for critiquing videos? This one is hobby-related, so I'm starting by looking for feedback here. I am a regular on nanoreef (as I mention in the video) but several local people to me are moving onto this forum so I will probably start frequenting here more often.

Thanks.
    Last edited by jimsflies; 02-25-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Nice. I thought about entering the contest but am too afraid to put myself out on youtube.

My only critique would to have the text at the end of the video stay on the screen longer.I barely saw it and had to "rewind" the video to actually read it.

By the way I liked the video, and good luck on the contest.

I recently made a purchase from LEDgroupbuy and built a DIY set up. Here's the link... though it sorely needs an update posted. It's a good company and very responsive to emails. But as a fair warning if you order the 3-UP LEDs (which I love) it takes a while for them to get to you. I had to wait a month.

Lastly, CR is great forum so hopefully you come back often!

Tom

CR Member
    First Name
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    Nice. I thought about entering the contest but am too afraid to put myself out on youtube.

My only critique would to have the text at the end of the video stay on the screen longer.I barely saw it and had to "rewind" the video to actually read it.

By the way I liked the video, and good luck on the contest.

I recently made a purchase from LEDgroupbuy and built a DIY set up. Here's the link... though it sorely needs an update posted. It's a good company and very responsive to emails. But as a fair warning if you order the 3-UP LEDs (which I love) it takes a while for them to get to you. I had to wait a month.

Lastly, CR is great forum so hopefully you come back often!

Tom
    Thanks Tom for your feedback... I really appreciate it. I wasn't sure what kind of comments I would get since earlier tonight I posted it on RC (used to be active on that forum a while back) and well... The thread got deleted. I asked the mods why and I'm now banned from the forums Lovely huh?

I actually looked through your thread (it's linked on the ledgroupbuy site) and I was particularly interested in it since I will be planning my build for a 40B.... Right now I have MH actually, and the spectrum is horrible. I'm just not interested in dropping more $$ on bulbs when I could put what little I have toward an LED build.

So I'll be watching closely!

Back to the video, I agree with your comments about the text. Normally I wouldn't put such text in a video but due to the purpose of the video I thought it appropriate. I want to learn how to make some nice text boxes that fade in and out or that scroll across the screen. Right now I'm just messing around with Adobe Premiere though and haven't learned that part of the software (assuming it has those capabilities built in)

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

It could be better if you hadn't disabled embedding. However, great job on the video.

Glad to have you here more often though.

CR Member
    First Name
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    It could be better if you hadn't disabled embedding. However, great job on the video.

Glad to have you here more often though.
    Disabled embedding?

Oh, you mean so that people could watch it right on the forum?

I did that intentionally so as to not come across as any sort of advertisement.

Thanks for the kind words. I really enjoy the reef hobby a lot, and it seems like there are some good members on this forum.

CR Member
    First Name
    Aaron

Hey does anyone know what aspect of a computers hardware is most important in video editing (fast HDD, good CPU, good GPU, more RAM, or just overall high specs)?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Loved the video, great job! This is an awesome sight! I've personally been a member for almost 3 years. Have visited many other SW forums and none have even come close to the fun, spot on facts and support that I've found here. Hope to see more of you and your build! Good luck in the contest

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?blir1g
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member
    First Name
    Aaron

Haha thanks Miz.

Actually I didn't win the contest (some guy with a boring 3min video from plantedtank.net won) but ledgroupbuy liked my video enough that they gave me a 2nd place constellation prize

So I'm going to replace my out of spectrum 250w MH on my 40br. with LEDs... I'm right now considering the ledgroupbuy.com 3up crees, really similar to Tom Haslett's.